From our kitchen

Janet stopped quilting for a few hours today and made oatmeal-fig bars and an apple pie. Both are Joy Of Cooking recipes. The fig bars though – read the section “about fruit bars”, use the oatmeal cookie recipe for dough, and since you have fresh fruit simply puree it to make the filling. Bake for about 25 minutes at 350°F.

12 Likes

Tonight I made a garden stew of sorts … on the left are items from the garden and on the right are store-bought items incl. sliced boneless/skinless chicken thighs. I cooked it for 15 min. in the pressure cooker on stew mode (choose 10 min. for fish or meatless).

11 Likes

Today’s pizza

Black tomatoes blended with fresh basil leaves
VdB figs
Bunching onions
Manchego cheese

6 Likes

Tonight I was getting ready to make some lime and oil basting sauce for BBQ’d Keta salmon and patty pan squash slices … when I spied a yellow onion on the sink. Using an electric citrus juicer, I managed to juice 3 Bearss limes and 3/4 of a yellow onion with the end opposite the roots cut off, and also including some frothy pulp from the onion. To that I added some grapeseed oil so it was equal parts lime, onion, and oil. Finally I added one teaspoon ground sea salt to the mixture. As usual I BBQ’d at around 325°F in wire baskets, basting and flipping them every 5 minutes until the internal temperature of the fish reached or exceeded 125°F. Now that’s a recipe I’m going to repeat!

Last night I cooked ordinary wagon wheel pasta, drained after cooking, then stirred in Basil extract with a tbsp of butter and topped with fine-grated Manchego cheese. :slight_smile:

Pomegranate chicken. In citrus (or similar juicer): 1/3 cup pomegranate juice, 1/3 cup yellow onion juice, plus 1/3 cup avocado or grape seed oil. Boneless skinless thighs, 5 minutes each side, basting each turn, on covered BBQ at 400°F until internal temperature reaches 165°F.

3 Likes