Full size Pear trees

I had a full sized pear tree at a house I owned some years ago. I believe it was a Kieffer pear tree. I never needed to spray it and it gave me bushels of pears to use. The only downside was the fact the pears at the top of the tree could not be gotten. I had to wait until they dropped. I used them to make pear butter if they were damaged by falling to the ground. I did not mow under that tree when they were really ripe those pears weighed a lot when they fell and hit you.

3 Likes

Yes, pear butter is yummy, isnā€™t it? Pears do make quite an impact when they hit you from the top of a tall tree:(

Pear slices in light syrup work well for fallen pears. Any damaged spots can just be cut away.
Pears that ripen till they fall are very sweet, and the slices may turn pink when processed after bottlingā€¦and at that stage,
the sugars have caramelized and lend a whole new note to the flavour. Ah, heaven :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@jocelyn

Here in Kansas menie does get fireblight but I appreciate your recommendation you opened my eyes to a new group of pears nearly lost to time!