Garden Markers

If you have deer use heavy aluminum tags as Derby did and get wire strong enough withstand a deer tugging on it. One of my friends lost several of those shiny tags with small wire.

I used a real set of stamps this time so my letters are better but still not straight, lol. This was an old set of steel stamps that were once my Granddad’s.

8 Likes

Thanks Jason, My grafts looked like they wouldn’t take but have started now. Those look excellent. Thanks for saving that pear!
Chikn

1 Like

Your welcome, it has been a fun project. Yes these two grafts on ohxf 87 really are taking off. I have one graft on a franken tree as well that is growing nicely. Thanks for sharing the scion wood

1 Like

I just cut up pop cans and punch a hole through them. Works great for me, but I’m kind of blue collar.
John S
PDX OR

3 Likes

I used cut-up strips of pie pans with embossing tape labels on them. I punched holes with a paper punch and wired them to the fences around my trees. A large percentage of them ripped at the punch and blew off over the winter. Back to the drawing board. Good thing I also keep a chart of where things are planted.

2 Likes

Just a note of caution for those of you that are using fairly thick stiff wire to hang tags. Yesterday I was doing a little pruning and came across 2 tags that were too tight on the limbs. No serious girdling but I’m glad I found them now before it could’ve gotten worse. I’ve been using 17 gauge aluminum wire and it’s pretty stiff. I think I’ll switch to something a little more flexible.

2 Likes

John, I do that too. Since I dont drink pop or canned beer, I wait for considerate, generous, motorists to throw them out of their cars, where they shine in the sun until someone retrieves them. I do rinse out with 10% bleach solution before cutting them, and wear gloves while cutting them with scissors. Paper punch works fine for making holes.

1 Like

Hey Bear with me,
I have the same thing. I don’t drink cans, so I pick up pollution. I just rinse with water, but I cut with scissors, and use a paper punch. Works great.
John S
PDX OR

2 Likes

Replying to my own post. I now use stainless safety wire at the advice of another poster. It works great. The small holes are no problem, and I can make a big loop so there is much room for growth without girdling, but I can kind of crimp it so it hugs the limb and won’t get blown off by the wind or something.

2 Likes

Some of my copper labels aren’t doing so well anymore. I’m going to give these a shot and see how it goes: https://www.everlastlabel.com/

1 Like

Best ever! I got these discounted because of the number, which is only on one side—you can make a key:value system if you wish to not use the actual cultivar name.

The dremel tool is overkill for this. I prefer a battery powered one. The writing is wider and clearer. Plus, you don’t need the clamp, which is nice for field work.

I should add, I use 14.5 gauge galvanized wire to secure it to the tree/plant. I don’t like the thin aluminum ones. I’ve had too many come off due to wind eating the hole away.

6 Likes

I’m finally done with my tree tags.

I ordered 10" stainless keychain cables that the ends screw together. (I like this because I can change from limb to limb when the need arises.

The blanks I got from work and were already cut to this size. I just drilled the hole and sanded all of the edges with my belt sander. Im waiting for my cricut engraving machine before i do it on the aluminium blanks i have.

I kinda like these so maybe i wont get the engraver. Will c how they hold up.

https://www.amazon.com/bayite-Stainless-Keychains-Luggage-Keepers/dp/B07JFZW67T/ref=pd_rhf_ee_s_vtp_ses_clicks_nonshared_0_1/144-3396630-2107364?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07JFZW67T&pd_rd_r=8f104186-099b-4bb4-9aab-310151b0a690&pd_rd_w=4mSV0&pd_rd_wg=DyTpS&pf_rd_p=84f6d7c8-4d1a-4107-af31-b3e64bf8bc32&pf_rd_r=EJ2XF1Q6KXGW2HZCVHKZ&psc=1&refRID=EJ2XF1Q6KXGW2HZCVHKZ

6 Likes

I made these with my 3d printer. I just push them in the ground next to each variety I grow. Still working on something that might look a little more appealing, but this will work for the time being. So far it hasn’t been affected by wind, rain, snow or animals.
When I get more time I might try making something more square like the tags you guys have been stamping.

6 Likes

Let us know how they hold up please. What kind of plastic did you use?

@RichardRoundTree It’s just PLA. So far they have been in the ground a year and look like new. The plastic is pretty tough. They are all in Full sun. I had made some bb gun targets out of them and it took hundreds of shots to penetrate through.
There are better materials, but I have 6 rolls of this stuff so that’s what I used.

1 Like

Excellent i have heard it is one of the better materials right now, Very much like that its non toxic and seems like a great tag. I am super excited for the heavy duty carbon fiber 3d printing in the future will be able to replace so many steel and other old parts for antique machinery, cars, engines etc… will be a game changer.

1 Like

Love the 3D printer ideas. So does my son.

Made the font shorter…

5 Likes