Garden Prince Genetic Dwarf Almond

If yours is on Viking rootstock that would explain why it does well were you live, I am not sure yet I think our Garden Prince might be on Lovell rootstock, not as wet soil friendly as Viking rootstock is yet your All-In-One might be on Lovell rootstock as well.

1 Like

Interesting! I don’t know the rootstock, because my local feed+hardware store orders trees for customers through wholesalers, and knowing the name of the variety is about all we get, lol.

The root area/lowest trunk got hit by borers the year they really went for my peaches, so I think it probably has a lot of peach in it at least. It’s also not dwarfing, because the tree is supposed to reach the height that catalogs always list for All-In-One (12-15ft, I believe).

The suckers are pure green with leaves shaped like an almond. It does actually get affected by drought, almond or no. It needs little water, but I do have to help it out there occasionally in summer. The leaves will wilt.

Viking is drought sensitive, it’s one major flaw, it’s a peach, almond, plum & apricot hybrid rootstock not sure if there are other drought sensitive ones.

1 Like

I bet mine is on Viking. Thanks for the info on it. I lucked out on that :slight_smile:

What do folks growing almonds think about this advice from UC Extension?

“Depending upon variety, almonds are ready for harvest from early August to late September. Harvest should begin when about 95 percent of the nuts have hulls that have split open to expose the in-shell almond inside. Hull split begins in the top of the tree and progresses downward.”

1 Like

I wish I had an opinion yet our neighbor’s trees have a pest in them that destroys our crop before it could be ready, and this year a late frost destroyed the chance of a crop. I might give away our tree. It’s just a lot of frustration to me.

2 Likes

I’ve done zero pruning on this tree and I just love the shape it’s taking. :grinning:

4 Likes

Leafing out in spring weather :slight_smile:

7 Likes

6 Likes

I’m interested in growing a Garden Prince Genetic Dwarf Almond from seed, but I’m having trouble finding a supplier. When yours produces, would you consider selling me a few?

1 Like

@Trees_as_Therapy
It cannot be grown true to type from seed.

What would it be from seed then? Why would it be a “genetic dwarf” if its not able to pass down the same genetics?

This cultivar was selected from dozens of seedlings. For its seedlings (if they are viable), the dwarf property (very short internode spacing) will certainly be passed on but the quality of the nut likely will not. They will be new cultivars.

I am mainly interested in the short internode spacing for growing a bonsai tree. I don’t quite understand what might happen to the quality of the nut though.

Garden Prince Almond is a peach x almond hybrid, so there’s a chance that some seedlings might produce bitter nuts.

1 Like

Would an All In One almond tree be any more likely to produce quality nuts when grown from seed?

No Prunus cultivar will produce fruit (or nuts) that are true-to-type when grown from seed. The same is true of Apples, Grapes, and many other fruiting plants.

Okay. I get it now. Thank you. Would you be willing to sell me a very tiny air layered branch for me to start my bonsai?

It would be less expensive for you to buy the tree straight out from a nursery.

From this page, click on the “where to buy” link:
https://www.davewilson.com/product-information/product/garden-prince-genetic-dwarf-almond

Sometimes Home Depot carries this variety.

1 Like