Gardening & orchard hacks - fact or fiction?

Most of us have seen mainstream Articles such as this one written by”
Marc Rosenberg January 4, 2018
https://www.amateurgardening.com/how-to/taking-rose-cuttings-4503 “discuss how easy it is to grow things such as roses
“Propagating roses by cuttings is easy, and it brings certain side benefits, says Kris
3C4D290C-CEAF-4840-8870-A45CFF9F8CE6

1. In an out-of-the-way part of the garden, which gets some shade during the hottest part of the day, dig a trench that has one vertical side. It should be around 6in (15cm) deep; place an inch or two of sharp sand in the bottom
    07E5A1F3-94E4-4E43-99A5-FCF68DA80C2A
  2. Choose a stem – about the thickness of a pencil – from the rose you wish to propagate. The wood should be straight (no kinks), ripe (tell by being able to break a thorn off cleanly), and young (from this year’s growth).
    0D7271C2-4751-4A2C-81B4-E0AEE15BBDAB
  3. The cutting should be about 9in (23cm) long. Cut just below a bud at the base. Then remove the leaves and thorns from the bottom half. You can leave a couple of leaf systems at the top of the cutting if you wish, but I’ve removed mine.
    9E5E0896-BA69-4E3C-A36E-09823BD182EB
    (4) Insert each cutting so that it is two-thirds buried, making sure that its base is well into the sharp sand. Firm the sand around the base, to exclude as much air as possible. Cuttings should be set about 6in (15cm) apart.
    63091BDE-C89B-4A5F-A1D0-F27ACCD192D1
  4. Replace soil into the trench and firm it in place; don’t damage the cuttings as you do this. Keep the cuttings watered throughout summer. By November they should have rooted well and be ready for transplanting.”
    Many of us assume we have done and will do our standard cuttings in this the traditional type of way by digging the trench , dipping cuttings in rooting hormone, sticking them in sand in the trench or a pot and control humidity. Sometimes we have successes and other times failures. Social media has lots of people rooting roses in potatoes. Is this fact or fiction? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sqA9jG6QUvk
    I suspect there is some truth to the potato method because the cutting stay most longer but there are better ways to accomplish that eg. wet newspaper In the hole the cutting is in. This is a method similar to what I use https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JyKH0lVxFQI
    Cherry bushes or berries etc can be rooted just as easily using the same methods as roses but it takes over 2 months before they root in my experience. My cherry bushes rooted in about 10-12 weeks the last times I did it years ago. No one roots carmine jewell like that hardly since they sucker profusely the tree has already done it for us. The people who do want to make thousands of plant divisions for acres of cherries. There are amateur growers who root things for the sake of rooting them like I do sometimes.
1 Like

Which there was an easy solution like this for growing blueberries from cuttings.

1 Like

Plant Propagation, ed. Alan Toogood, publ. AHS and DK books.

1 Like

There are many good books on plant propagation. Here is another book I use that is very inexpensive

Roses have a very short juvenile period 20-30 days unlike pears 6-10 years as seen in the book.

3 Likes

Really? That seems dreadfully short. Can someone who breeds roses chime in and confirm its accuracy please?

1 Like

@rayrose your by far our most qualified rose expert. Can you help us out with this?

If you’re talking about rooting roses from cuttings, it will depend
greatly on the method you’re using. Roses are rooted during the growing
season. If you’re using a sophisticated misting system inside a greenhouse,
it will usually take at least several weeks, maybe longer. If you’re doing it as a backyard hobbyist, it could take several months. Some varieties are easier to root than others. Roses can also be budded onto root stock, which is a whole different process. The majority of commercially sold roses are propagated onto root stock.
I’ve rooted a number of roses over the years, but always as a back yard hobbyist.

3 Likes

Thanks Ray I appreciate the quick reply. No one I know has as much knowledge about propagating & growing roses as you do.

1 Like