Gedesa plum

Got these tonite and a quick internet search doesn’t say much other than Gedesa might mean yellow plum. Anyone know more?

They’re going to need to soften up a bit before I dig in.

Thanks for any information.

Dax

1 Like

Gedesa is probably the distributor and those are lemon plums.

5 Likes

A Chilean plum. Also called Lemon Plum. Apparently just starting to show up in US . . . but apparently at Wallmart! Where did you find them?
Found this on internet: “The other day I came across and interesting fruit at the James Island Walmart. It was some kind of plum but shapes like a lemon. The tag said Gedesa…”

1 Like

But you probably knew this, already! LOL (I just reread your original post.)

1 Like

I found them at my Aledo, IL. Walmart. This Walmart is about 1/5h the size of any Walmart’s I’ve seen.

Dax

I had these last year they where being sold a Seabra grocery and they where labeled Lemon plum. A cultivar developed in Isreal the Wiki page lines up exactly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_plum

2 Likes

They turn a medium to dark reddish plum color when ripe. Also they stay yellow and store for a longtime if kept in the refrigerator.

2 Likes

Could be ‘Inca’ the Wiki article says.

Thanks guys and gal.

Dax

Yup, the heart shape or mango shape and the color, I was suspecting that it could be the Inca heirloom plum. It is one of the plums that I really like.

1 Like

There are so many so I’m glad to hear that. I grafted one and gave it to a buddy south of me last Fall. I’ve relayed the information to him.

Dax

1 Like

See other thread on this forum about the Lemon plum.

1 Like
1 Like

Awesome, thanks Matt.

Bred in Israel and definitely not Inca.

Dax

Just wanted to say these turned a slight but reddish color in 1-2 days and now are pretty red. I’ve eaten three and they are a very decent plum. Better than most any I’ve bought at a grocery store. Perfectly ripe shown below. Thanks a lot @danzeb for the information.

Dax

5 Likes

Beauties!
I found some that looked like your lemon plum - in the grocery last night. They were from Chile. I ate one. Pretty good - not great. But, I didn’t wait to see if it would change color. So I have one left that I’ll let ripen . . .

1 Like

You’ll enjoy it. Like I said they aren’t superb but they are very good.

Dax