Gem pear, Dallas

Planted a year ago. Didn’t grow much but has flowers. Maybe precocious. Ohf87 from Raintree.

1 Like

Mine flowered the year after planting, though didn’t create any fruit to try. When described, precocious was one of the listed attributes.

Sounds like you’re a year ahead of me. Please let us know what happens this year.

@Bhawkins - Has your Gem pear bloomed yet? I need a pear better aligned with the bloom time of Tennousi. My Meadows variety seems to bloom too early. Tennousi hasn’t started blooming or putting out leaves yet.

Hi Chadspur, none of my pears have bloomed yet. I bet they start next week, I’ll keep an eye on what blooms when Tennousi blooms

1 Like

Looks like Gem is going to skip blooming this year (3rd leaf). Tennousi started blooming yesterday; other pears in bloom are Ayers, Keiffer, Orient, Pineapple. Pears not blooming yet are the Orientals, Harrow Sweet, Harrow Gold, Harrow Delight, Maxine, Monterrey, Potomac. Some of my other pears are too young to blossom. Warren is in full bloom but I hear it’s a bad pollinator. I bet everything is blooming in the next week.

2 Likes

Thanks for the report. My Tennousi is absolutely loaded with blooms. This year might be a test of its self fertile nature unless some of the Bradford pears around here end up pollinating it.

@zeamaizing do you have a report yet on gem?
Where can i buy the new pear 'gem'?

got mine at Raintree Norsery

1 Like

I forgot LeConte, its in full bloom now

1 Like

Tennosui is still in bloom, & all the Orientals are blooming now; Hosui, Raja, Shin Li, Shinsui; so I guess they’d be good pollinators too

Gem fooled me, its going to bloom after all, but much later than Tennosui; its probably not a good pollinator for Tennosui

1 Like

Our oldest Gem tree has a few fruit this year for the first time. It is fifth leaf and was from Cummins Nursery. I also have some younger ones from Raintree and Cummins. I’m excited to try it!

1 Like

Cannot wait to hear the taste report on gem!

How did they taste?