General Fruit Resources

General Fruit Resources

Here is a list of links to Internet resources for learning more about growing fruit. It is a wiki page and regulars are encouraged to edit and add/update links. See About the Reference category for a description on how to edit these pages. If you are not a regular, just add a suggestion in a followup and a regular can do it.

General and Beginner Guides

These online guides are good general resources when starting out, even if you are not in or that close to the particular state.

Commercial State Guides

For more serious growers, here are commercial guides.

Disease and Pest Guides

Spray guides

Pruning and Training

Health, Soil and Nutrition

Propagation

Scionwood Sources

See the Growingfruit list of scionwood sources

Nurseries

See the Growingfruit nurseries list

Animal Control

There are unfortunately few good guides on keeping squirrels, rabbits, birds, etc away from backyard fruits. We should make a Growingfruit guide on it :grin:

Frost/Freeze Protection

Low-impact / Organic Fruit Growing

Container Growing

Videos

Blogs

Magazines

• Good Fruit Grower - this is the leading commercial fruit growing magazine in the US; older issues are free online
  • Fruit Growers News - another US commercial fruit rag
  • Tree Fruit - the leading tree fruit magazine in Australia, free online

Individual Fruit Information

Apple

Pears

Stone fruit in general

Peaches

Plums

Apricots

Cherries

Berries

Blueberries

Persimmons

Figs

Jujubes

Pomegranates

Pawpaws

Kiwis

• Kikibob’s website - Bob Glanzman is kiwi-obsessed!
  • Oregon State’s Growing Kiwifruit - a reasonably complete downloadable booklet

Grapes

Citrus

Tropical Fruits

Fruit Books

Historical Books

The New York Books

These are the classic US books for old varieties. They appeared in the early 1900’s.

Other resources

14 Likes

I can’t edit cuz somehow I don’t have access to editing of the Reference section.

Rabbit Ridge Nusery of NC is one to add.

1 Like

Oops. This was meant for the nurseries thread.

You should be able to edit, the only thing people can’t do is post new notes. Just click on the little pencil at the bottom. I just tried with a test account and it seemed to work.

When I click on the pencil, it asks me to select a category (not sure why), and “References” is not an option. It won’t let me save my edit.

Are you clicking the pencil at the bottom of the top post? Its under “…” that you need to click on first. The pencil at the very top is just to change the category. Its not so clear, I should probably write more instructions.

Yes.

I often access this site with an I-Phone. Maybe there’s some bug that hasn’t been worked out yet.

1 Like

Same problem with my android tablet and PC.

2 Likes

You guys are right, I did’t realize the point it was failing for you. Apparently it considers editing a post the same as posting which is disallowed for level 3. So, I’m going to change it to allow level 3 to post (and edit) here and will add an instruction saying to not add new posts without prior approval.

Edit: its been changed! Let me know if it doesn’t work now.

Not to but in but I just wondered if you have ever used this site http://www.fruitid.com/#main

2 Likes

That looks pretty cool, I added it above.