Gooseberry problem

My Poorman gooseberry, planted in the ground, is dropping its fruit. The berries are just starting to ripen but it will be a week or two before they are fully ripe. They look a little shriveled and are dropping off. The plant looks perfect. I’ve never had this happen before. The Jahns Prarrie and Black Velvet gooseberry fruit looks fine. We did have cool weather followed by two days of 93-95 and back to cool weather. Perhaps Poorman is more sensitive to high temperatures or watering. Anyone have this problem?

1 Like

With many berries, when water is low, they drop berries, or berries are hard and dense.
Also winter damage sometimes shows it’s face at fruiting.

3 Likes

I have some first year gooseberries that have fruited and are dropping some fruit. I thought that maybe it was due to being first year plants. Also, the drops that I have found have had a split or scratch on the bottom of the fruit. I have rabbit fencing around (but not over) the individual plants as a half-hearted attempt to protect against birds. I have not seen any birds near the berries, however. I sampled the drops and they are sweeter than I would have suspected- a nice sweet-tart mix. All my remaining gooseberries are green. I am hoping the drops stop soon! By the way, I am in northeast PA and the only plant that has produced (near) ripened fruit is the Amish Red variety. I do have a few Jeanne and Black Velvet berries hat have neither ripened nor dropped yet.

1 Like

I just checked my gooseberries and found that there was a drop under a Jeanne bush that was split open and eaten by a critter. I think that the berries are being plucked before they even turn color, but start to darken after they fall. Maybe I need to invest in some scare tape.

1 Like

I am pretty sure that the culprit that was causing my gooseberries to drop was grape berry moth larvae.

1 Like