Gorchen Grafting tool review

While I enjoy the old fashioned method of grafting, which for me was using a utility knife and making a whip and tongue graft, I decided if I was going to do it more frequently then it made sense to invest in a grafting tool. Found this on Amazon for $21, free shipping with prime. It arrived today, no instructions but it’s pretty easy to figure out. Bonus in that is even has pruning sheers.

For the price it feels pretty well made.

First you cut the female notch and then the male.

then fit the two together…couldn’t believe how easy it was and I’m sure these would have a pretty high success rate considering how well the pieces went together. will make experimenting with different varieties a lot easier maybe even try grafting some pears to my apple trees…I’ll post up additional feedback once I’ve used it some more.

5 Likes

I can see it working nicely, especially if the pieces are the same size. Any thoughts on working with mismatches?

1 Like

Excellent! Not all grafting enthusiasts can make perfect cuts with a knife (as this Belgium nurseryman displays)…us mere mortals have to take our aides as we find them.

6 Likes

Here’s a graft I did with one of these on jujube. I had trouble with the mulberries though. I felt like it mashed and distorted the soft wood. The cuts on the jujus seem perfect.

4 Likes

You can still work with mismatched thicknesses. You just need to line up the cambium on one side.

5 Likes

I purchased one of those in 2015. I’ve used it for many grafts with very good success. I recently purchased one of the metal Zenport grafting tools which I intend to try this spring. Honestly though, I’m not sure why I even bother as I enjoy grafting by hand and have had very good success that way as well. Guess I’m just one of those guys that enjoy gadgets.

4 Likes

I use this tool, much easier than trying using utility knife. I change the blades for different cuts as well. So far, I like the tools!

I can see how soft wood could potentially be a problem with this particular tool…fortunately, the softest trees I have are my peach/nectarine, so shouldn’t be an issue for me

1 Like

That is good to know.

I did some figs last year with great success with this grafting tool. It’s curve cuts lock the 2 pieces in place like a puzzle piece so it’s easier to handle and I would think it would be a stronger branch in the future. The cut also has more surface area vs just a straight cut which should increase the success rate.

Question: Did I do them upside down?

3 Likes

How would you rate how tightly the scion fits into the rootstock at the bottom of the omega graft? There is clearly some space at the top, but that can be tied in. Is the bottom tight?

don’t know if there is a right or wrong way…

2 Likes

It’s a pretty nice fit. I have popped it in from above and it is a definite pop in but I also have had to slide it in from the side. I’m a new grafter so haven’t had a lot of experience. But when you get a good cut the fit is beautiful and then, yes, you pull the sides in tight with the wrap. I don’t think the blades are terribly sharp…hence the problem on the soft wood. Neither of the mulberry grafts I did with it took but then there was only two and it was my first use so I won’t say it can’t be effective. I’m doing jujubes with it now and like the way it works. I’m using knife and zenport/generic on my mulbs.

I have tried these tools before and I gave them away as it was almost always useless. The success rate is the same as I do it by hand. The only problem we have is high winds during the early spring. The grafts from these tools will always break at the union when the scionwood have leaves and the winds blew. It has a very very very short union, less than half inch to tie the rubber bands to prevent breakage. Unlike my normal hand cut whip and tongue which I can do diagonal cuts of 1.5" to 2" long and then tie around with a rubber band, and it is really really very strong.

My way around to the weak union from these grafting tools is that I use a couple of bamboo BBQ sticks as reinforcements tied with rubber bands to protect the graft union from breakage from high winds that come when the scion have grown. It is more trouble having to brace it, so I gave the tool away as it slowed me down instead. It really doesn’t form a strong union in the early season.

Perhaps if you’re grafting inside a greenhouse, or you can brace the grafts thereafter, then this is a good one.

4 Likes

I have a couple of those that I bought off of amazon. I use them all of the time to graft stone fruit. Almost all of grafts are successful when the wood is the same diameter and close to a quarter inch. I just wrap a rubber band around the union and then seal it with wax tape, asphalt or something similar. The biggest problem I have had is that it isn’t always easy to center the cut. I haven’t had issues with the the graft breaking off afterwards.

1 Like

Yup. It’s disheartening at times that the very rare cultivar you grafted just blew off when it has grown very well. Happened to me, but I just borrowed the tool to try.

1 Like

I received mine today! :grin:

Has anyone tried this tool for grafting Japanese maples?