Grafted pear

That is good to know. Are your Asian pears about the same size. It seams like they are slow to size up…impatient I guess.

Yes my Asian pears are around that size.

1 Like

Great, I will lean on you for help on when to harvest. Thanks Clark!

1 Like

My shinko pears continue to put some size on. I think I should have thinned them more but it is the only branch on my multi grafted tree that has fruit this year. Here are a couple pics.

3 Likes

Anyone have a guess on when shinko will ripen in the Midwest?

Nice looking pears Derby! Asian pears tend to bear earlier than any other pear in my experience.

1 Like

Do you have shinko Clark?

Jason,

In September. You can tell when the fruit is all russett and the skin some what transparent.

Tony

1 Like

Thanks Tony, and thanks for the scion, this is your shinko that is making fruit for me. First fruit in 19 years thanks to this forum.

3 Likes

Derby,
Mine is not producing yet. Probably be a couple of years yet. Just grafted it this year.

1 Like

Maybe next year Clark, it is the most precious of my pears,

1 Like

Derby,
Wanted to follow up to see how your pear tree is doing now?

1 Like

The birds started pecking the Asian pears then they began disappearing so I picked them. They were not spectacular but still a very satisfying feeling to pick fruit from a tree I grafted.

1 Like

Usually the flavor of pears improves with age. Glad to read that it already fruited for you! Asian pears fruit quickly!

There are lots of varieties on it that I looking forward to trying. I added magness this year.

2 Likes

Jason:

Did you try T-budding your pear trees? I found T-budding peach is very satisfying. but the root stock better to be young(at most 1 year’s growth, best is this year’s new shoot). my T-budding on old branches all failed. Don’t know if this would be the same for pear trees.

1 Like

I did not t bud my pear, I used a bark graft. The understock was very large. The original pear was 20 feet tall and I cut it back to six feet. I tried t budding my peach tree but it was before I was a member here and I did not do it correctly. I have bark grafted, cleft grafted and a small amount of whip grafting.

1 Like

I t-budded 2 older pear trees. Each tree I added two tbuds on and both had one tbud take. @fruitnut gave great instructions T-budding tutorial

1 Like

Jason,
T-budding saved me a lot of work this year!. Clefts, bark, whips, saddles have always been my primary grafts. Side grafts have their uses but for me I do less than 3-4 a year. I did hundreds of whips and clefts. Bark aka rinds are limited to maybe 10 a year on older trees. Can definitely see myself using much more t-budding in the future. Have you finished grafting all of your pears?

2 Likes

It is kind of a work in progress, I think I have all I can keep straight on my old tree. I planted three ohxf 87 rootstock and let them grow this summer. I think I will graft them next year. Maybe a magness on one of them.

1 Like