Grafted pear

This is my10-in-1 pear tree. Grafted on a unknown seeding. I am going to graft quince and crabapple to it this year just to see how well it takes the scions

6 Likes

Wow! The goal is 365-in-1?

Goal is to have different pears on every branches. Everytime I look at the tree and am counting how many branches there are that I can graft something onto it. I know it is addiction, but can’t help it​:joy::sunglasses:

6 Likes

How late can you graft dormant scions onto a tree? (pears) I found this on Maple Valley Orchards a couple of months ago. I thought it was interesting. Grafting pears
How late can you graft dormant scions onto a tree?
Posted by John Kring on Jul 28th 2020
Goal is to have different pears on every branches. Every time I look at the tree and am counting how many branches there are that I can graft something onto it. I know it is addiction, but can’t help it​:joy::sunglasses:
[/quote]

When I went to shut our last cooler off on July 18th, I discovered a bag with 5 varieties of pear scion wood. The scion wood would have been cut back in late February. All the scion wood was still green and viable. I decided to graft it onto a Moonglow pear tree. I took the pictures below tonight. As you can see in the pictures, all 5 grafts appear successful. It seems that as long as your scion wood is dormant and viable that you can top graft a tree long after it has broken dormancy. Fun experiment.
Their is also a nice picture that goes with it. I would like to post the pictures but I am still learning this website.

2 Likes

I forgot to mention. This Short article was under maple valley orchard . com (under the blog section.)

3 Likes

Derby Did the large cuts heal over, are there any problems with them? Have they died on down into the trunk?

You need to read the article. These are not my grafts. This is by John Kring from Maple Valley orchard. I only posted the pictures. It was from his website, from the blog section.

1 Like

@Derby42
How are the pear scions doing I sent you a few years ago? I suspect you have plenty of fruit.