Grow Lights

Have people tried replacing their T8 bulbs for LEDs in regular shop lights? I understand you have to rewire a bit, but I’m wondering how growth has been and if you keep them as close to the plants or maybe a bit higher up since they aren’t as diffuse. My current T8 bulbs are a little old and overdue to be replaced, but I’d rather go to LED if possible.

Has anyone had experience with something like these or some other models:
https://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-Dual-End-Powered-Compatible-equivalent/dp/B01C9CMBDK

1 Like

Ive heard great things about those bulbs from a general purpose standpoint but I havent heard of anyone thats used them for growing. I watched a youtube video the other day where a guy was trying to explain LED grow light recommendations. He stated that vegitable plants need light in the daylight range (5000k to 6500k) in addition to at least 3000 lumens.

Thanks. I think I’ll probably give them a try. I like that they’ll work with a ballast, so at least I can try them out with that first. I have some seedlings that are really under performing and I’m wondering if my bulbs are just too old, so I’m hoping this might help.

I’ve bought some replacement LEDs. They worked in some fixtures but not in others others. Doesn’'t really matter since I found some new LED fixtures with bulb for $20 at Job Lot. I use them as shop lights, not for plants although they might work.

1 Like

Those should work

Some 1/2 drywall painted with some semi gloss white interior paint would be very reflective.

Actually flat ceiling white would be the best choice for reflecting light back to the plants.

1 Like

I found some high bay, 6 tube, 48" long, HO, T-5 florescent fixtures at Menard’s. They come with the bulbs but are still some what expensive. They produce some heat so I can forgo bottom heat. Got very good germ on peppers and lights produce a very stocky plant. The lights are keep at the top of the foliage.

I have a few small tomatoes and peppers I grew this spring under an led grow light. I think it may finally be past the frost here and I was wondering if they are as susceptible to sun burn since they have had a grow light on them?

Yes

1 Like

I would put them first in shade for a day and then morning sun and then afternoon for few days otherwise leaves will burn.

1 Like

I’ve been running these 30W DIY LED lights for months now. I’m averaging about $18 CAD per light which I think is pretty good. They run on 120VAC and use a CPU cooler to keep the chip from over heating.

3 Likes

Link 2 those chips?

1 Like

do you use the light in addition to regular sunlight? and in a box or like on a table in the open?? Thanks…my seedlings ( none) are happy indoors since our cold came back!!

Hello, welcome to the forum. I’ll give you how I grow my seed starts. Others on here might do it differently, but the basic steps are the same.

I start my seeds indoors in peat pods, and place them on a heat mat. The pods are covered with a clear plastic housing, to help build up a warm humid environment to speed germination. I have the seed tray sitting on a table in our hallway, with no lights on them at that time.

After a few of them sprout, I take the clear cover off, and put them under my T8 light bank, and place the lights as close as possible to them. I remove the heating pad as they no longer need it, and could dry out the pods. I hang my light bank from chains, so I can adjust the height as they get bigger. I have the lights on a timer, so they get about 14-16 hours a day. I don’t put them near a window, as that tends to make them leggy and the light isn’t as consistent as a light bank.

The seed tray stays there under those lights until I’m ready to start hardening them off. This is when I put them outside in a shady area for a few hours, and then bring them back inside over night. I repeat this process, but allow them to stay out a little longer each day, plus allowing them to be exposed to sunlight a bit more every day. Near the end of these steps, I leave them outside overnight. After a week or two of this, they’re ready to plant in the garden. This is done to help the plants get used to the harsher outdoor environment.

Hope this helps out.

1 Like

so…for folks like Derek who know way more than I will be taking the time to look into, what’s the most “bang for your buck” under like $50 for supplemental lighting for a small greenhouse, and for a guy who refuses to play “fun with electricity” and rewire stuff?

Thoughts? I was gonna get some of the strip lights you referred to as “blurple” up-thread, but it sounds like they aren’t all that great.

(disclaimer: these are for starting seeds for a month or 2, not growing an indoor garden, lighting a citrus, etc…)

Just my opinion, but my setup isn’t very expensive. My 4 bulb light fixture cost about $50 at Lowe’s, and the 6500K 48" T8 bulbs cost about $6 apiece. I use a 2x2 wood rail above it that I hang the fixture on with chains. So, total cost is about $70, plus the wood and chains.

I use this setup only for seed starts in the spring, the rest of the year it sits unused in the hallway (to the chagrin of my wife…).

1 Like

hoping for something I can put the 6’ mini-greenhouse under, so I suspect I would need tubes at each level. My wife would love to see the greenhouse disappear from the kitchen I am sure, but not be real fond of a fluorescent fixture straddling it if that ALSO had to be upstairs in the kitchen to pick up additional sunlight

If you dont wanna mess with wires, and for that price, its gonna be hard to beat fluorescent bulbs. They typically work good for seedlings cuz they arent TOO intense. They arent as efficient and need to be replaced more frequently. You can also get prefab LED lights like the shop lights they sell at sams club that are decent for seedlings and small plants.

Something like this might work also.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4pk-LED-Utility-Single-Strip-Shop-Light-5000K-Double-Integrated-Fixture-Ceiling/263431367327?epid=17012419739&hash=item3d55bbaa9f:g:4P0AAOSw4HNaV5-N