Growing mushrooms from plugs

the black spots are not shiitake. But it looks like the plug took. I have had many logs which were partially invaded by something nasty, but the mycelium was sufficiently established that they were able to fruit.

5 Likes

I have cork oak available. Does anyone know if this type of oak makes decent shiitake growing medium?

I just guessing that the thickness and consistency of the bark could be a real hindrance to mushroom production. The folks who sell the plugs (mycelium) could provide some insight. Interesting situation.

2 Likes

Since the logs are ‘new’ I would seal up the black fungi so it doesn’t spread a billion spores of whatever it is all around the neighborhood. I would use shellac (not varnish, lacquer, etc.) or latex paint on it immediately.

2 Likes

I have some white blotches on the ends of most of my logs. I had one with the black blobs too and separated it from the rest. It was the bottom log to the stump. It now is showing white on the ends. I don’t have any visual indications at the plugs other than they are white. I have black spots at the ends which have me worried. I also inoculated the stump in the ground. I used my chainsaw tip and cut slits. I packed those and sealed the whole top with wax. Half the stumps top is white now.

2 Likes

When that happened to mine several years back, I found a FAQ page that said that the white was Shiitake mycelia - a good sign. In my case I think it was and all turned out well.

3 Likes

Oak is normally the best type of wood for shiitakes because the bark is slow to fall off. Bark is required. I don’t know specificallly about cork oak. It should be fresh, within about 2-3 weeks.
JohN S
PDX OR

2 Likes

Did the ‘drop’ a few times. Did the ‘soak’. Covered and set aside, and…here they come…

These are small logs, about 18" high and maybe 6-9" in diameter, aka manageable. I’m going to try to fruit them one at a time and cook them fresh, rather than having a whole bunch to either use or dehydrate.

2 Likes

http://www.smy.fi/en/artikkeli/cultivation-of-chanterelles-taking-great-strides/

2 Likes

Success!

5 Likes

I have been busy cutting wood for the winter. I’m on car hauler trailer load 31, and have about twenty yet on the ground of oak. I am behind with a lot of things that are growing. I even had ripe figs that the ants are eating. I need to build a rack to hold the inoculated logs. Mine might fruit too. I inoculated the stump in the ground by cutting slits with the chainsaw and packing the cuts. Then I waxed the whole stump surface. It’s all white now. My logs are growing white fungus on the bark too. That looks like a big mushroom. Congratulations!

2 Likes

Oh you have several mushrooms all with good size. I just saw the one at first. I can’t wait to cook some up. Those are much bigger than the ones i see in the store. Let me know how they tasted.

Here’s what my logs look like. It’s just now cooling off. We’ve been in the 70’s. It would be neat if I got a couple mushrooms, but it’s okay too if they fruit next year.

This is the stump I inoculated by cutting slots and packing inoculated wood shavings from a hand planer planing an oak branch. I covered it with wax as I did to all my logs.

1 Like

I picked a few Chanterelles the other day, I’ll probably go out again tomorrow. I’ve thought about capturing some mycelium and trying to fruit it ‘at home’ but that would be 974 projects (in this case, most likely doomed to failure) backed up, so I’ll put it off for now.
Speaking of doomed to fail, I tried inoculating some Oregon Ash and Hawthorne for Shiitake growing and I found that the recommendations against doing so were accurate. Borers, termites, contamination, bark problems, etc.; not good. For those wondering, stick to Oak, Sweet Gum, Shii (obviously), and other recommended trees.

I kinda skipped the field cleaning…

3 Likes

Seedy yeah we found five coolers full of them in a secret place marked for next year with waypoints!
Here’s my son in Chant heaven.

8 Likes

It’s shiitake season! Picked a basket full today from my year old logs, lots more are still growing.

7 Likes

Looking good! I’m still cold here, but next week it’s going to get close to 80 deg. No leaves out on trees yet, but the buds are swollen. I’m hoping for mushrooms soon too. I bet they taste better than store bought.

2 Likes

Part of foraging is exploring, and exploring involves travelling unknown territory, and that involves (ideally) knowing where you are at any given time, being able to return to an exact place if desired, and being able to return home at will (not being lost). I use the mobile app and website ‘what3words.com’ and the mobile app ‘Navmii World’ together to accomplish these tasks and more. My phone isn’t even set up with phone/data…I just use the built-in GPS. The surface of the Earth is divided into 57 trillion 3m x 3m squares…you’re always in one of them and never out of range for GPS.

Let’s say you wanted to meet a friend who wasn’t very familiar with your local town. Using what3words you could say: meet me at: over.paints.boom (shore of Lake Arlington). The friend types in the 3 words and…
If you go to https://what3words.com/ and go to Map and enter the three words as written, and just for practice look at satellite view, you’ll see what I mean. If you/they use Navmii, use its what3words search feature and get a route map and live directions. All ‘what3words’ needs is GPS. It’s very handy anywhere with the phone.

Lake Arl b

1 Like

@Seedy looks like a cool Ap. Going to try it for sure.
I have been using the paid version ($12 ? ) of GPS Waypoints Manager to create waypoints when I am out there in God’s woods lost as hell. I also use the paid version ($11 ?) of HuntStand to examine parcels to see who owns them before I charge into them.
Looks like you are out in heaven by the photo you show above. Heaven must be nice. Perhaps next life.

@Seedy ok I downloaded the Navmii World Ap. to my phone.
The What3words.com site works well on my laptop but I don’t have internet out in the forest, but do often have GPS. So how do you use
What3words.com out in the woods with no internet. I must be missin sompin here…