Growing peach from seed

Might mention that I’ve read Nemaguard is not winter hardy (even for a peach). It’s used in CA, but no longer recommended for the Southeast (because of PTSL). It’s also not recommended for the Midwest, so I’ve never tried it.

Here is what Bill Shane said about it, “Guardian and Siberian C have shown some problems in the Midwest climate and the rootstocks Citation and Nemaguard are definitely poorly suited for the Michigan climate.”

https://ask.extension.org/questions/151557

I believe, Luther Burbank was the first one to use June budding on the commercial scale. Nowadays, virtually all commercial growers in California and similar climates use this method, since it saves a full year under good growing conditions.

I knew June budding was the customary means of propagation for most fruit tree nurseries in warm regions, but for some reason always thought it was done with dormant scionwood (sort of like spring grafting, but waiting a little later for the bark to slip, then using dormant scionwood in the T-bud). I learned something new that all this time June budding was done with green wood.

My preferred method has been fall budding with current season scionwood. I don’t think our seasons are long enough to be able to bud peaches in June with current season scionwood.

Thanks for posting that. I watched the first 20 min. and plan to watch the rest later. I have read some of the stuff when Bob Anderson was with Cornell. Interesting to listen to him.

Looks like Guardian can be useful in the southeast if you are having problems with PTSL.

https://agresearchmag.ars.usda.gov/1998/oct/guard

Have you considered using locally grown peach pits? I think many peach orchards were started that way in the past.

2 Likes

Nemaguard

1 Like

Generally how long from sprout to fruit?

Good question not sure? Mine were started last winter, maybe December 2016. So last summer was their first summer, and they grew to about 2 feet tall, even with a set back from a late freeze. the photos I posted above show them as bushy as the late freeze killed the tips and it bushed out They might have grown taller if not for that set back. It could delay fruiting by another season. Mine should fruit by 4th leaf judging from the size. it may have a few fruit next year and the year after, but I probably will remove them until the tree is bigger.
So I’m thinking 3-5 years depending on conditions.

1 Like

I was thinking of grafting a piece to get fruit quicker, but that is a 3 year process too. Although for sure you should have fruit the 3rd year, so a touch faster. I decided not to because I’m keeping the trees no matter what, I will top work it with grafts. I may graft to these seedlings this spring. I will leave one scaffold alone. I can already pick scaffolds because it bushed out, although not ideal scaffolds.
That reminds me that if shaping the tree that loses a year too, you know cut at the knees. i won’t have to do that because of the tip freeze.

These two are peach seedlings that poped up in the lawn spring 2017. I didn’t plant the seeds. Just volunteers. I moved them to a corner of the veggie garden so the lawn mower wouldn’t get them. They grew pretty well. I think they look good to be less than year old. I topped them sometime in August to get the shape I want. Got 4 nice scaffolds. Then last August I got a few pieces of peach wood from a friend of a friend. Very good fruit but they didn’t know the variety. Rather than waiting till this year to ask for dormant wood I brought home wood from that actively growing tree and grafted it right then in August. I knew I wouldn’t be good at budding so I didn’t try that. Cleft grafts did well for me last season so I went with a cleft. It didn’t do much after grafting, just sat there. But I think it took because the buds look fluffy and healthy. I will know in a month or two. I wonder if it’s too much to expect fruit from this next year. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

If you see three buds sitting next to one another, the two on each side are flower buds. It is kind of rush to expect flower buds this early.

I am more concerned about your two trees are very close to each other. Do you intend to do a close a planting method? Moreover, your trees are very close to the fence, in my opinion. My peach trees are quite spread out as I keep them open centered.

1 Like

This is not their permanent home. They are still in a corner of the veggie garden. I will move them in a month or so, hopefully before they break dormancy. I’m also going for open center.