Harrow pears - my observations

I thought you planted a new bare root tree, not transplanted it. Either way, be patient.

I did plant a new bareroot tree. I guess it’s not transplanting.

A drama queen of a HS will fit right in with the ladies of this family.

This is on OHxF87. I bought it only because I didn’t want to wait years for fruit. No luck with that it seems.

1 Like

I too, just planted a bare root Harrow Sweet on OHxF87. It came from Adams County Nursery along with a Contender peach. They went into the ground a month ago. The peach put out new green buds about a week later, but the pear waited a couple weeks after that before I saw any greenery. The Maxine (from Stark Bros) was also planted a month ago, and has lots of leaves on it already.

I can also attest to pears taking their time getting going after planting. Our first two Callery bare root trees were planted last April and took a couple months it seemed to wake up. One (Pineapple?) has done great, the other (Orient?) still lagging a bit, but both have lots of green leaves on them this year.

Our big potted Moonglow we got from Lowe’s last year has settled in nicely in its new home out by the barn, it even produced a few blossoms this year.

Susu,
With Harrow Sweet, I don’t think you need to wait years on any rootstocks :grin:

2 Likes

I’m sorry if I used the wrong terminology of transplant/plant. I was thinking transplant in the sense of it being in the nursery’s field, dug up, and then sent to the customer. But you’re right, that does sound like the wrong word when i think about it. :thinking:

No apology needed. :smile:

That is a transplant, and usually a pretty rough one as commercial nurseries tear off lots of roots with their 1-year tree harvests. However, even when I carefully dig up an older pear bare-root, preserving most of the coarse roots, it can be dicey.

These three passed a “lift test” today so they are the first three picked this year, Oct 7. Smaller and ugly looking this year.

5 Likes

But you have horizontal branching!

Yes, I want it horizontal and short. :slight_smile:

I have had consistent issues with pear scab on our harrow sweet. Fruit badly damaged most years with surrounding pears showing no sign

I do sometimes wonder about the scion I got being true as others don’t seem to note this, but it came from a reputable source, and fruit matches in all respects

2 Likes

Rob, when do your HS ripen? Mine is around now every year. Yours is two zone lower. Mine does not have scab.

1 Like

Rob,
No scab here on my HS either. They are spurring up like crazy! HS produce fruit really fast! Every site is different and I’ve heard negative things about FB and other things at some locations but very rarely.

1 Like

That’s odd you say that Rob, because my Harrow Sweet that I purchased in the spring has had a bit of foliage problem. The edges of the leaves would turn dark brown/ black, and they have some spots on the rest of the leaf as well. It is not fireblight-I have seen fireblight before, and this is not it. After doing some research and comparing them to pics on the internet, I think it might be pear scab, which is a little weird, because I didn’t think pear scab was a big problem in Georgia.

I’m not too disturbed by it–it isn’t devastating to the tree, and it’s not too bad, but it tells me I need to keep up on the fungicide sprays next year.

Still, it’s odd you and I seem to be having an issue with it.

1 Like

No scab in my location as of now for HS.

I get a few dark spots on the leaves of all my pears but they seem to be minor issues.

I get some scab on fruit, but the variety is so prolific that the loss of affected fruit is minor. On my, and many sites I manage, the killer for pears is not scab but fabraea leaf spot. which doesn’t attack the fruit but often defoliates the tree before the fruit has gathered adequate sugar to be useful. I have never learned the nature of the association but fab is said to be encouraged by psyla infestation of trees, however, this season, with all the rain, it created problems even on trees without psyla.

Harrow Sweet is exceptionally resistant to psyla and fab and is usually the last pear to defoliate on any given season here.

6 Likes

Eat one HS from the three that I picked 3 days ago. I did not chill it in the fridge, just left them in a bowl on a counter. Very nice. Not quite soft yet but brix was about 19. Consistently good every year.

5 Likes