Help! How can I germinate an old wild prune’s seed?

Good evening, I’m new on this forum and I have a strange question to ask you. So,
before to arrive at the concept I prefer describe why I have so strange idea.
In 2009 I have meet my girlfriend, and we have eat some wild prunes. Now, eight
years later, I have found one seed that is own at the fruit that we have eat in
2009. Given that this seed remember me a wonderful moment, I would like try to make
germinate it.
I have bear the seed in a box, it is been always dry and temperature swim between
a minimum -5° in winter and maximum 25° in summer. I have kept it outdoor.
So, I know that the seed is very old, but according you it is possible that he grow
up? And what’s the best way to try to make germinate it. I have read about
vernalisation, but how and when I’d do this?
I implore you to be very precise, because I have only one possibility, if this
seed die I can’t retry, and for me is very important have most high possibility
to bring to life this seed.

Thank you for your attention and best regards.

Good evening! I’m uncertain about the answer to your question, but I promise you that no question (about growing fruit trees, at least) is to strange to ask. I can’t answer it, but someone else will take a good shot at it.

One thing for sure: it’s worth a try, and I hope it works.

1 Like

I believe alcedo noted getting some apricot seeds to sprout after being stored in the fridge for a long time. I believe he cracked them out of the pit and soaked them

1 Like

Here is a quote from" alcedo in an old refrigerator I had forgotten 6 Aprium Tasty Rich seeds. Stored for 3 years in a Zip lock! I took a guess.
So I Cracked these 6 forgotten seeds and soaking the dried out ones in water for 24 hours, after then i’ll put them in a moist container only for observation if they still alive or not.
Never thought such a thing would still grow, see what happened, within four days there was life."

I would not be at all surprised if they sprouted, but I’m concerned that they might not have a lot of vigor- if they do sprout I’d baby them.

I would imagine that they are vernalised if they’ve been below 5 C for very long at all, so I don’t think that’s an issue. Waking them up will be an issue, and whether they have enough food available to the germ, assuming the germ is viable, and then keeping them going once the acrospire does appear.

You want continuous comfort for the whole process once it starts- no dramatic changes in temperature or water until the roots are fully developed and new growth is showing.

I’m probably saying more than I know, so I’ll stop- I’m looking forward to anything @alcedo or anyone has to offer.

the technique is always the same: refrigerate or freeze for a long time (I think generally more than 90 days), scarify (cracking could destroy the seed, it is best if one patiently uses some sandpaper), soak for a few days, place in a moist 70-80F environment such as a wet paper napkin inside a ziploc.

Mark,
Alcedo passed away last December. Someone posted the news in the forum.

Mamuang,

l am so sorry. Somehow I didn’t know. Thank you for telling me. Sometimes I fail to keep track of different names if I have not met someone in person.

1 Like

I’ve never used sandpaper as suggested but it should help. Youtube has videos on seed scarification. I usually open seeds using a vise. It’s easy to damage the kernel when trying to crack it open and the vise seems to be the most controlled method. Since you only have one seed the sandpaper method would be the safest.

Good afternoon, thanks for tour answer. I have chose to follow this way.

1. In a few days I’ll put the seed between two wet absorbent paper in a sack for freezer and I will put it in the refrigerator.
  2. In early march I take it and I’ll put in a vase with topsoil and I leave in outdoor.
    Now I have two questions: when I scarify it? Before or after the vernalisation? It is a the best way to germinate the seed?

In a few days I’ll put the seed between two wet absorbent paper in a sack for freezer and I will put it in the refrigerator.
In early march I take it and I’ll put in a vase with topsoil and I leave in outdoor.
Now I have two questions: when I scarify it? Before or after the vernalisation? It is a the best way to germinate the seed?

In a few days I’ll put the seed between two wet absorbent paper in a sack for freezer and I will put it in the refrigerator.
In early march I take it and I’ll put in a vase with topsoil and I leave in outdoor.

I would think before. Scarification breaks up the shell allowing water to penetrate. If the seed is a live it will need that water for biological functions that occur during stratification. For a plum seed scarification is not just a little sand paper and done the shell is very thick. Buy plums from the store and practice.

1 Like

Ok, I have already some questions, is better make the seed in vernalisation between two absorbent paper or among the topsoil? And for many time I need to keep it in the refrigerator?

my concern is the seed does not have enough moisture before vernalisation . Give the seeds a good 24 hours soak then an extra soak in diluted bleach water. I would use paper towels not peat or soil.

2 Likes

Ok!! Sorry, but I have forgot to write that I want keep the seed some hours in water. Now I have understood a lot of things, you are my heroes!!! But I need other details. How many time I’ll keep the seed in the refrigerator? How I need to do for avoid the seed’s rot? How many water need the seed for the vernalisation? Thanks very much!!!

4-5 months @ 4.4C I would soak the seeds for an hour or so every week or so. Bleach water if you start to see mold.