Help me find a pear I'd like to grow

Looks really good on my smartphone!

1 Like

Cool.

Dax

1 Like

@Barkslip im betting the small yellow pear that many people call Clarks yellow pear is covered in blooms. @tonyOmahaz5 how is the small yellow pear doing for you? It typically takes 3 years of production before you taste it at it’s best but once you have had it no other pear measures up. It’s nearly impossible to catch it at the perfect time because literally hours matter with this pear but every year you will get better at it. @marknmt do you have any fruit buds this year? I know lots of people grow this pear now which makes me happy. This variety i have no doubt would be lost by now had it not been part of my collection. @39thparallel orchard grafts these pear trees now for sale all over the USA. The flavor is very unique unsurpassed by any other pear but picked at the wrong time or when tje tree is young it’s only mediocre in flavor. The first year i ate the fruit i completely meant to graft the tree over. I’m very thankful i didn’t. By the 3rd year of fruiting i tasted it at it’s best. My family announced it was their favorite where it is still unsurpassed. Anyone who tried it on a good year cannot eat enough of them its literally like you found something to add to your diet that should have always been their.

4 Likes

Not awake yet, but my Harrow Delight is. I walked the orchards yesterday. Some such as ‘Potomac’ have their buds at green scale split.

I will be ready though and it’s gonna happen in 7-10 days I presume with the weather finally elevated quite a lot here.

1 Like

Potomac and harrow deloght do not have the flowers open yet here but they are both showing color. The small yellow pear is the same

4 Likes

beautiful popcorn flower bud. I could snack on them. j/k.

I said Harrow Delight, I meant Harrow Sweet. Harrow Sweet is advanced as your buds shown but with leaves. I don’t remember if it had flower buds. I thought what I would do is watch each tree and hand pollinate if flowers show up.

2 Likes

Harrow sweet is in the same stage as the harrow delight , small yellow pear, and potomac this year. The early bloomers like improved kieffer, douglas, duchess and others in category 1 are far ahead of them. This shows you an improved kieffer. Their blooms though early are very tolerant to cold weather. The fruit often times have frost rings.

4 Likes

Clark, I might have to add that to my Bartlett next year after such a glowing review.

2 Likes

Did u compaire the vigor of Pyrodwarf with the other Pryus roodstock?

1 Like

@Roland

I wasn’t impressed in my area with it.

Can u explain the differences you notice?

1 Like

Pryro died all other rootstocks lived. Some clung to life for a year or 2. My area in Kansas is to harsh for that rootstock. It was a good number of the rootstocks I tried. Ohxf 333, 87, 97 all do fine. Callery and BET rootstocks do great so i will stick with those in the future. Harbin is hit and miss here but I do like some things about it.

1 Like

Why do u think Pyrodwarf die?

@Roland

Callery does fine here but pyro cant handle it here Pear Rootstock Research Project | Chelan & Douglas Counties | Washington State University

@clarkinks can correct me. But believe it was the pyro 2-33 that died not pyrodwarf. And it was due to the drought conditions the summer it went into the ground since Clark relies on rain rather then irrigation.

1 Like

@lordkiwi @Roland

Yes your correct pyro2-33 i saw my mistake on the previous post but hadnt had an oppurtunity to correct it yet. They didn’t just die from drought I kept 1 or 2 alive for years with constant watering. They could not grow here. They could not establish enough roots to keep them alive. It was like growing a blueberry in alkaline soil. Same is true of quince weakling rootstocks can’t survive here. That does not mean they are bad for everyone. What’s bad about them for me may make them good in an area that wants a small tree but have deep rich black acid soil and twice the annual rainfall. This is a marginal area for fruit Noone has a pear orchard here besides me. @39thparallel does well in a nearby area with richer soil. His soil is top grade the best Kansas has to offer. We exchange ideas and we know many tricks to keep things alive here. Pyrodwarf is not pyro2-33 but at the time everyone called 2-33 simply pyro rootstock so it was my mistake believing the reference was the same. Many articles make statements like this " Pyro 2-33 trended toward being more dwarfing than OHxF 87, and in some of the trials and years, had equivalent yield efficiency." Yet they gave it glowing reviews Pear Rootstock Research Project | Chelan & Douglas Counties | Washington State University . In a marginal pear growing region which is not what the tests are concerned with that means trouble for us. That’s not to say in the hood river area pyro2-33 is not an ideal choice. Created this thread for reference as we have discussed rootstocks exhaustively many times Pear rootstocks revisited in 2022 . Every few years the next novelty pops up and sometimes there is merit to them. Ohxf333, 87, 97 are all on my farm growing with Harbin, callery, and BET. The Harbin mostly have died over the years due to pear decline I would assume. There are still half a dozen alive and doing fine. All the others mentioned ohxf and callery and BET like it here. BET are aggressive and thorny as if Kansas was made for them. Similarly callery thrive here. Ohxf overall do very well but show their weakness in certain situations with rabbits, droughts and other extreme situations not typically occurring. If callery and BET have a weakness I have not found it. There is much to like about ohxf I see why ohxf87 is so popular. In addition I grow Farmingdale there is actually no Farmingdale in the ohxf cross. There should be it’s a great tree and great rootstock. It’s actually ohxb I’m afraid Old Home x Bartlett? | Good Fruit Grower according to postman. Postman is a pear expert i have great respect for. Natelson did much for pears in the south as he recognized pears unique growing situations. Every article Dr. Natelson read must have said grow Bartlett until he started gathering southern varities. Originally pyro2-33 were referred to as pyrodwarfs class of rootstocks when most people spoke of them as seen in many threads.

1 Like