Help me identify this fruit that cost 3/$1 at the grocery store

Bought these fruits last night and when I asked what they were no one had any idea. They are kind of pear shaped so I thought maybe they are a type of quince. Help me out here because I’ve never seen these in Kansas and I have no idea if 3/$1 was a good deal but it seemed like it would be worth buying and trying.

This is the Chayote Squash. It is eaten more like a vegetable.
If you live in a hot area, you can plant the whole fruit and it will turn into a huge vine that yields 100s of pounds of fruit.

2 Likes

I think these are Chayote squash for cooking.

1 Like

Thank you! Can I fry them as is they are hard right now? Do I just cook them with onions and soy sauce? The same store had this huge bag of limes for $1

2 Likes

you may cook them now. They are actually good at the crisp stage. They are actually edible raw like eating a guava, and may eat the seed too which has a unique taste, but the flesh may not have an agreeable texture to many people, and the skin may have some spines so need to be peeled.

1 Like

I’ve just planted my Egyptian spinach. I think it has already germinated although I’m not sure what to expect the seedling to look like. I just scattered a few in a couple of places in the garden and I’m guessing I need to thin it down to one plant or do I allow several to grow in one spot. All I’ve seen on videos is container planting and commercial harvesting of the jute (I really don’t want it to go there… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) How do you like to eat it mostly?

1 Like

I need to go grocery shopping in your neighborhood. Here I pay 39 cents for ONE lime!

1 Like

they usually sprout quickly, will be posting pictures at this thread soon, as still owe one of the active members there a picture of winged bean :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can plant the entire squash? Wow. I had no idea. Even one that was purchased from a market can be planted that way? Thank you!

Drew

1 Like

Can you give more details about Egyptian spinach I am not familiar. Maybe should start a new thread.

Drew

1 Like

The people on this forum are always very helpful. No other forum could I have asked a question like this and got an answer so quickly. By tonight I would have had squash jelly if not for the help!

3 Likes

Agree completely!

2 Likes

You should look for slightly more mature fruits, they usually have a bulge at the bottom ( wider end). Some even start sprouting in the store!!

We used to get bumper yields when I lived in a tropical country (India). The vines would grow over 100 feet!

I actually thought I was reading/posting on the other thread…oops

So just plant the whole thing huh? That is great. How deep do you plant them? Thank you for the advice. I’ll bet the 100 foot vine was awesome!

Drew

Plant half under ground and half above the ground in an angle.the wide side in ground

1 Like

Thank you! Great stuff here.

Drew

Hi @wildscaper, no need to start a new thread, you may periodically refer to our weblog of unusual vegies. We will be updating it as our seedlings progress. And will update it with our failures as well, though hopefully not much of it :worried: We’ve been growing e. spinach every year with ease(if not total abandon)so should anticipate promising updates for this species.[quote=“wildscaper, post:15, topic:11224”]
So just plant the whole thing huh? That is great. How deep do you plant them? Thank you for the advice. I’ll bet the 100 foot vine was awesome!
[/quote]

going back to chayote, we also posted some pics of our recently planted chayote at that blog, and have a similar approach mentioned by @IL847 with regards to planting technique. Btw, you can cherry-pick chayote squashes at the grocery store, by checking the “butt-crack” and if you see a protrusion from the cleavage it is likely getting ready to sprout. Some may even have actual sprouts growing already–even in cold storage.

hey, i tend to do this too, so keep me in check if you catch me doing it again, lol!

1 Like