Help me pick my 5 pear grafts

My trees need 90+% taken off. 80% off is still twice the number of 90%. Then you can get decent size and they’ll bear every yr. I seriously hate thinning Asian pears.

2 Likes

I like 20th Century more than Yoinashi (which isn’t bad). Further, with it being yellow and a different flavor profile, it gives some variety. I think the skin is a bit thinner and less noticeable than many Asian pears. I would put it just after the top 3 on the list.

2 Likes

Fruitnut,
I started to hate thinning now. Since my 20th C, Honey Crisp and William’s Pride went biennial last year, this year they are all loaded. Thin, thin, thin.

I had shinseiki I believe, which was an offspring of 20th century, and I can attest to the fact that it at least was a very mild but juicy pear, and as mamuang said, it is perfectly happy to load an entire branch with fruits it prefers to set at about golf ball size. It needed terrible thinning, although I love the pear

1 Like

This is my top work with a few on the list.

5 Likes

My rootstocks arrive tomorrow from Raintree. I have 3 OHxF87, as well as 5 St Julians, so i can put a pic (and some measurements) up so you can know what to expect.

You don’t have much to lose by grafting now. If it doesn’t take, you can let the rootstock grow and you aren’t really worse off than not grafting to it. But pears are pretty forgiving, so go for it!

2 Likes

They arrived and the pears ranged from 5/16" to 6/16". But for thinner wood, you can move higher up.

Box:

Closeup (the 3 OHxF 87 are on the right, next to the ruler):

Some of the St Julian are larger- up to 7/16".

2 Likes

Bob,
Will you graft them and pot up or graft them and plant in ground. Mine won’t be here until May 10.

Thanks Bob. Looks like a nice size. Mine will be here Monday. I will pot mine up for fall or next spring planting.

I’ll pot them up, while they grow and wait for their eventual home. I lose so many peaches to borer and apricots to spring frosts that it’s good to have a ready source to plug in.

And the pears will probably be for rentals. I don’t have any spots now, but I’m suspect that will change. I’ll probably do Hamese (early Asian pear, got scionwood from Raintree), Korean Giant, and Belle Lucrative or Harrow Sweet. Reason to use BL vs HS is that BL is a new variety for me, so putting it here is a bit of a backup graft.

I ordered quite a while ago, back in mid February, so that may be why they shipped to me first.

When potting up the rootstocks I had a thought- at least 2 of the pears could make multi-grafts, due to the Y shape.

Some of the St Julian look pretty good, but the one on the left looks like it got its roots trimmed a bit too much.

2 Likes

I have an ohxf 87 with a Y like that , I put two Altoona grafts on it and it looks like both are going to take. My question, since you are looking at doing the same thing , is what is your long term plan with the fork? How would you grow the tree to make them both work? Mine are the same variety so I just planned to cut one off but I might want to put another variety on that fork next year if I could understand how to make it work

A couple options:
1.) Two leaders. Hopefully divide up the vigor and make each one not shoot for the sky quite as fast.

2.) Espalier fan. I have a few pears that I did this with a year or two ago and now I’m grafting 3rd varieties on each, as one of the two leaders sent up a branch in the middle. I have not idea how viable this will be in the long term, but it seems like a neat thing to try.

For those I plant in my yard, I’d probably go with #2. If I plant it at a rental, #1 sounds fine.

Two on one also gives me a built in pollination partner. Not important in my yard, where there are probably 30-40 varieties, but could be good at a rental where there aren’t any pears around.

Perpendicular V is actually a recognized training method, though from what I can see, it is mostly for peaches.

I think that if you wanted to keep a single variety on the rootstock, it would have been better to put it in the straight part, before the split. Once you graft above the split, removing one side leaves it unbalanced. Granted a single graft doesn’t give you any backup for graft failures.

2 Likes

Good points bob, I like the options, I have seen the fan but it hadn’t considered it for this case . I will probably graft one side over to another variety at some point. I always seem to need a spot to put something, Potomac maybe, it is on my wish list.

1 Like

Received mine today.

2 Likes

Did you decide what you will put on them?

As I type I’ve put Harrow Sweet and Korean Giant. Matching wood will decide from here out. Will report back later.

Updated added Rotkottis Frau Ostergotland because I thought the red flesh would be cool as well as the name :rofl:

Magness as it is one of the recommended.

Yoinashi as it sounded good and wood fit.

2 Likes

One per rootstock, or did you make a 3 (4?) in 1 from the one on the left?

I grafted my pear rootstocks tonight and did all 3 as multi-grafts:

1.) Harrow Sweet & Belle Lucrative
2.) Korean Giant & Hamese
3.) Korean Giant & Hamese

I probably would have tossed a 20th Century in there, but didn’t see the wood and figured that an extra KG is not a bad thing.

1 Like

I thought about grafting multiple wood to them, and figured I would keep it simple. My selection ended up being more about match scion size. I did both cleft and w&t. I will pot them up tonight as I ran out of time last night. I think I will look at grafting additional wood in a year or so.

It is interesting how deep these were planted, @BobVance do you plan on planting as deep as they had the roots?

1 Like

I put two persimmons on a single small root a few days ago, I made a saddle cut in the stock and then put a scion on either side. I felt pretty good about the cambium contact I got, we will see how it does.

1 Like