Helpful Book Suggestions

I agree that Stella Otto’s book is worth the price of admission, although her experience is as a small commercial grower, so she doesn’t have quite the same perspective as a home grower- this has its pluses and minuses. It is a huge plus that she has so much real world experience successfully cropping fruit.

One of my favorite gardening books is not at all a how-to or a text book. “The Botany Of Desire” by Michael Pollen makes fascinating reading, even if his big idea may be pushed a bit hard. The four perfect essays that comprise the book include one about apples that should grab the interest of all forum members.

Michael Phillips “The Apple Grower” is probably the best general orcharding book I’ve read, even if I don’t share his philosophy about organic growing. That is, the best book for those of us growing fruit in the humid region.

The reason I rate it so highly is because he takes the time (invests the words) to explain not only how but also why. The why is usually the more versatile tool. The illustrations are also first rate.

4 Likes

“The_art_of_grafting_and_budding” by Charles Baltet …old French book…the guy wrote many other books but they all seem to be in French.

1 Like

This was an outstanding series on PBS. It might still be available on the PBS website or youtube. He’s pretty even-handed on some controversial subjects like GMOs, while firmly standing his ground on the negatives of monoculture.

This is almost a gardening book, and for free. A valuable anecdote to garden books that stray from the science.

2 Likes

Few years ago I read most of this book…“The Plum Curculio”…these old books have a ton of good info in them.

Good one. Blenty useful information. So many myths that we wish were truths.

Another useful book is “Tree Fruit Production Guide” from Penn State. I believe its about $30 in print. They also have a free on line version: http://polk.uwex.edu/files/2014/02/Tree-Fruit-Production-Guide-Penn-State-2013.pdf4 Covers Apples, Pears, Peaches and Cherries. Its more of a “how to” book than a text book. Useful information on IPM and chemical controls.

1 Like

My copy arrived today - it wasn’t at all expensive in the 1983 edition. I paid $4.64, including the $3.99 shipping charge, and the book is in near-new condition. Go figure. Makes a person wish they had more lifetimes to deal with all the goodies in books like this.

I purchased the same edition, Mark, and received it the Saturday before last because it was an in stock Prime offering at 96 cents more, total cost. If it’s not new, I can’t tell. The only indication that the cover has been opened is the original price sticker inside.

It IS packed with a variety of information and illustrations. I’ve only flipped through it because I’m saving the reading for the chilly, dull and quieter days after the fall through HallowThanksMas pressures are over. It will allow me to plan and imagine being outside, even when the days are too short or icky to spend much time out there. I’m glad to have added one more very useful tool to use in my quest for becoming more effective and successful at growing and maintaining my plantings.

1 Like

LOL, the 4th ed was available for rent for six months starting Dec 15th for $85 or purchase used starting for $182.

1 Like

I ordered one of the el-cheapo 1980’s editions in too. Thanks everyone for bringing this bargain to our attention!

The cheap version is probably about 99% up to date. I actually didn’t notice any info that became obsolete from the 1st to the third. I’m not saying there was none, but it couldn’t have been much or anything very important. At least that is what I’d like to think! I do try to read carefully.

Books like this one create a foundation of understanding that you can build a solid structure on if you pay your dues by studying carefully. They are even more valuable in older hands than those of young students because you have the experience to put the info in context so it sticks better and is more likely to coalesce into a big picture of cause and affect.

3 Likes

J. Russell Smith’s “Tree Crops” is an interesting read. Maybe more in theory and design than application to most forum members situations, but I’m finding it interesting.

http://soilandhealth.org/book/tree-crops-a-permanent-agriculture/

3 Likes

Thoroughly enjoying “A Northeast Gardener’s Year” by Lee Reich.

1 Like

I agree that’s a great book. Also read the pears of New York Scott told me about this year.

2 Likes

I just read Norwegian wood cutting/burning book (its new)…Excellent. If you burn wood, chop wood, stack wood… this book will be right up your alley. Some interesting stats (per capita in Finland they burn nearly 900lbs of wood a year/25% of homes in Norway heat with wood). What your wood stack says about you in Norway…etc etc.

I save all my fruit tree limbs/stumps to burn in the wood stove.

http://www.amazon.com/Norwegian-Wood-Chopping-Stacking-Scandinavian/dp/1419717987/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455029545&sr=8-1&keywords=norwegian+wood

I also read a Banana book
http://www.amazon.com/Banana-Fate-Fruit-Changed-World/dp/0452290082/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455029938&sr=8-1&keywords=banana+book

Lots of banana history in this book…the future of bananas doesn’t look so good.

1 Like

I am looking for a book specifically about pruning and training cold hardy fruit trees. Cold hardy is key here, since I can’t make up my mind about what’s best concerning certain fruit trees, ex: what’s best for peaches? Open vase pruning on the North side of a house to avoid late spring frost by still being in the shade of the house at that time of the year or espalier against a South facing wall with winter protection such as shade from a wood pannel or heat from christmas lights, to ensure enough sunlight and heat during summer to ripen the fruits properly… maybe even step-over in my case…to completely cover with snow over winter…
Need tips, would love to find a book on that topic.

1 Like

Got the banana book from the library. It was really interesting, thanks for the recommendation. My daughter read the first couple chapters too.

I don’t think this book has been mentioned, Tree Fruit Field Guide to Insect, Mite, and Disease Pests and Natural Enemies of Eastern North America.

Great book for identifying diseases and insects, both beneficial and harmful.
Many good pictures and descriptions of tree aliments and insects at different stages in their life cycle’s. It is geared towards the north east fruit growing.

My only complaint is that I wish the page size was larger for my aging eyes. Other than that, well worth the cost in my opinion.

Best price I could find was at Adams County Nursery… Tree Fruit Field Guide — Adams County Nursery

3 Likes

"The Grafter’s Handbook"by R.J.Garner. This is my go too book and the one I learnt to graft from before I joined the forum. I re-read parts of this in the winter to familiarize myself with different techniques.
It covers, grafting as well as rootstocks, although it does not go into detail on varieties is covers methods of propagation very well.

I periodically threaten my book club that when it is my turn to choose a book I will choose this one, or a similar book on fruit tree culture. :slight_smile:

4 Likes