Hicks Everbearing mulberry

Anyone growing it? @Lucky_P @jujubemulberry ? If so, how does it stack up compared to IE?
In my research, there seems to be some conflicting information, alternately listing it’s origin as South Carolina, Georgia, Kentucky and as a pure m rubra or rubra x alba hybrid.
I got some scion from a local source, so I figure it must be hardy…
The bark color is much darker than IE.

From my researches I,ve seen it labeled as both rubra and rubra x alba as well. But the only mulberries I’ve come across that have the long (4 month) bearing season have been rubra x alba crosses. So my money is on a hybrid.

1 Like

Reading the old description that say it’s a productive food source for poultry and hogs doesn’t seem to bode well for the fresh eating quality, fruit is called very sweet, bland by some, superior by others. I’ve become more interested in fodder trees, so this all sounds good to me.

i have not grown this variety, and really curious if anyone in this forum already tried it. I looked it up at nurseries but seems not as common as IE. Something to consider, especially in colder regions.

Can you tell me where one might buy this cultivar, or who has scion wood? I have not been able to locate an online nursery for the ‘Hicks Everbearing’ cultivar.

1 Like

I grafted some Hicks this past spring and now have at least one going…might have a spare for you or at least be able to help with scions next spring.

2 Likes

Thank you so much…I will message you next spring.

1 Like

Eliza Greenman has some trees and scions for sale! https://hogtree.com

3 Likes

Great to see Eliza is spreading this one around, it could be a very useful tree. My grafts are getting a solid hardiness trial up here in Maine, -20F yesterday am.

I think my original scions must have come from Eliza as well, they were passed along to me from her former mentor, John Bunker, who she apprenticed with.

I was about to post Eliza’s ad here but see you already did it. She’s a national treasure.

1 Like

Sounds interesting, let us know how it comes through the winter, though young wood may be more susceptible.

I bench graft my mulbs as low as possible, then bury the union when I plant them and may even plunk some mulch down the row as additional protection…we shall see.