Honey Jar and Sugar Cane Jujubes just became available!

I have some seedlings that look the same but are now putting out good growth and in some cases blooming. There doesn’t seem to be a rhyme or reason to which ones are doing this. Possibly some that got a smaller portion of water?? I dunno.

Katy

My SiHong is blooming…about to be blooming heavily. Should I take my heavy blooming rootstock out and set it next to the SiHong?

Katy

jujus tend to be laggards on some years and then vigorous in other years. From what have observed, their overall growth kind of evens out at about 5 yrs, as most would be of the same height and canopy diameter.

definitely won’t hurt doing that. I hope it bears some, if not many, fruits for you!

btw,congrats on your chico bounty! If sihong is plum-ish, chico is the most apple-ish.

1 Like

Beautiful!!

A rake works to 12’. Then we shake the tree. If I do it just right, I seem to hit a resonant frequency, & it rains jujubee’s on my head.I need to record the process sometime, its comical

I’d rather keep them at 8-10ft; but a couple years after I planted these, the City added trees on their property line; 6 ft east of my trees; 12-15 ft tall. So I let these tree’s grow above the City’s trees to get some sun.

"jujubemulberry29m Bhawkins
"our potted massandra, autumn b, and winter d had the same symptoms. "

I agree, looks like they need water. But the grass 2 ft away is lush, they get sprinklered 3x a week, been in ground over 2 years, moisture meter says they’re fine. I’m guessing Cotton Root Rot has destroyed a lot of their roots. Or something is keeping them from taking in the water…

2 Likes

you are right, was busy overseeing the trees that i overlooked the field of green…

damaged/diseased roots are most likely the cause, since it simulates drought. Good thing about jujus is that they have the ability to self-amputate diseased/compromised stems and also able to destroy infected cells via autophagy, so with the loss of stems/foliage, the tree may resume business like it was a bare-root coming out of dormancy. The amount of viable roots will then limit the amount of foliage to re-grow, so ratio of roots vs stomata will favor ability of roots to channel moisture vs moisture losses via transpiration.

1 Like

Here is a sugar cane seedling that was looking really good and then suddenly developed what looks like the same as @Bhawkins trees and then began growing again with new growth that looks perfect. Now it is blooming. This seedling is a year old.

Katy

2 Likes

This is my SiHong. Planted bare root this spring from England’s. It bloomed early but did not fruit. Is now putting on a growth spurt and blooming again. I have four potted plants that I’m putting around it. One is a rootstock that is blooming heavily and another is a HJ seedling that is blooming heavily. I’m also putting sugar cane and HJ seedlings that are beginning to bloom with it mainly because I took my heavy bloomers out of the nursery with them and I want the seedlings to be near the bloomers. So…here’s my SiHong and the new grouping!

Perhaps you are right!

Katy

7 Likes

Love it Kate! Looks terrific! I look forward to getting my Sihong whenever I can find one.

1 Like

Keep checking with England’s. How far are they from you?

1 Like

i see some subtle characteristics of foliage indicating likelihood of it being a sihong. You could also try comparing stiffness of its upright stem vs. stiffness of other cultivars of similar caliper. Sihong branches rarely sag, even when loaded with fruits, and seem to be at least as stiff as sugarcane wood. Sihong also tends to delay lignification or rough bark-formation, often maintaining a smooth, even glossy, outer surface of its stems at 2" caliper, whereas most other jujus get rough and ‘barky’ quite early at ~1.5" caliper

2 Likes

Yeah I will. Not far. Google says 240 mile drive. Probably will take a trip there in fall. :+1::heavy_check_mark::grin:

1 Like

I was planning on going in the fall to get one of Cliff Englands Shi Hongs however I may have to look at getting either a Sugar Cane, SO or Shan Xi Li. Here is what he says about the “Shi Hong Jujube” - “Produces a large fruit and ripens late. This is the Jujube that requires long hot summers low humidity drier conditions. A light producer in our area but does very well in the hot south west.” I am worried about the “low humidity, drier and light producer in our area” comment.

1 Like

there might be other factors involved as climate/soil conditions, but sihong in vegas can be very early. If you’ve noticed on that batch of jujus sent you, the sihong’s were in a more advanced stage of ripeness compared to the li’s. Li’s often outpace sihongs, but not every year. Our sihongs even outpaced sc, ant admire, and contorteds this year

2 Likes

That’s very interesting Raf. The ones you sent really were amazing!

1 Like

Raf,
I think I mentioned this concern about Sihong as @zazlev stated here. I am in a short summer, high humidity area. My best hope will be a report of Sihong from @BobVance. If it does well and ripen well for him, I am in.

1 Like

you betcha! @BobVance may well be this forum’s reference when it comes to northeast jujus

1 Like

I’ll definitely make one, but you shouldn’t wait for me. Given how long it can take jujubes to become productive here (at least for me), it could be 4 years before I know. And then another 4 years for you. Do you really want to wait that long for such an interesting variant of an already tasty fruit? :wink:

1 Like

My best approach could be to find the scion wood and graft it. If it worked well in my area, I could convert Shanxi li to Sihong. If it does not work out, I only have one graft of it.

I also do not have anymore sunny space. I started growing jujube trees in pots this year. Not sure it is a way to go!!

1 Like

Zack,
For Kentucky/Tennessee:
Lang
Sugar cane
So/ AKA Contorted
Li
Honey Jar
Tigers Tooth
Taso /Tsao
Redlands # 4
Xu Zhou
Dae So Jo

These are the best for our humid climate and even thou we are at 1800 feet in elevation in Zone 6a they still perform very well
We have over 100 cultivars but many in 10 year have either fruit some or very little the ones above are the best to pick from.
Cliff

Message above was from Cliff.
I am still determined to try Sihong and will attempt to possibly graft it in the spring to a seedling. Englands nursery is a much higher elevation than I am. His nursery sits at 1800 feet above sea level versus my 350 feet. That could make a difference I suppose. We both have dreadful humidity so that could definitely hurt me with the Sihong. Cliff does say his Sihongs at least fruit some, versus many he mentioned which do not.

2 Likes