Honey Jar and Sugar Cane Jujubes just became available!

Cool. I didn’t know Pawpaw and Persimmon would do the same. I have Persimmon planted, a handful of Pawpaw seed to plant, and a Tigertooth. Hopefully in a yr or two I’m looking for scions to add some variety.
Thanks for the info guys!

1 Like

That is good information! Thanks, Tony, I did not know that American Persimmon and Paw Paw behaved in that way, either.

1 Like

yeah, it is sadly still a scourge to a great populace…

yes, i too, get peeved when the finer roots are trimmed away. The packer could easily have coiled them in the packaging, those are precious!

2 Likes

The secret is out. I too drank the koolaid.

4 Likes

For TheCityMan

Kevin, my roots are short as well as a few broken. Trimmed after photo. I think they will do ok.

Hehehehe

Arrived from EL a couple hours ago as advertised. Solid 5 foot Honey Jar. Will be in ground by Sunday. :+1::metal:t2::ok_hand:

4 Likes

I knew mine was arriving today but didn’t get here until about sundown. Huge caliper and the roots had been trimmed about the same. Nice looking tree…would have loved to have seen it before it was trimmed up. I got a 15 gallon Chico last fall and the caliper of this tree is not much smaller.

Chico stands about 8 foot:

The roots on my Contorted were about this size and I was a bit disappointed. These roots really look small to support this size tree. (I’m a newbie and I worry a LOT about everything) :flushed::grinning:

Katy

4 Likes

Not certain why they would root prune and then ship the obviously bare rooted plant in potting soil?

Looks like a lot of people got their Honey Jar today. And I’m one of them!

The smaller one was 3/4" caliper and the larger one was ~7/8", both measures taken a few inches above the union. If you count the rootstock, the caliper was about 1 1/8". This puts it just slightly (1/8") smaller than the
Contorted I got from DWN (through Sanhedrin) last spring, which was the largest I’ve received.

I did notice that it was a bit shorter than it needed to be it was just under 3’ from union to top and a bit over 4’ if you include the rootstock and roots. But they are still very nice trees!

For scale, the black wood is a folding yardstick.

The roots look pretty good on mine. Though it is interesting that they packed a bit of potting soil into the root-ball. I’m guessing it was meant to keep things moist.

Here’s a closeup of one.

I planted the one in the above pic and will probably plant the 2nd on Saturday.

4 Likes

exactly. It does not make sense, especially to us folks in the sonoran and the mojave deserts… These nurseries should have their customers decide whether or not to root-prune [quote=“k8tpayaso, post:188, topic:9740”]
These roots really look small to support this size tree. (I’m a newbie and I worry a LOT about everything)
[/quote]

totally understand your qualms. We have bought many bare-roots jujus that look exactly like that and the vast majority survived, but could argue that the performance would have been better had the nurseries left some fine roots intact, and simply coiled them around since those are pliable.

gotta hand it to ediblelandscaping though-- their hj’s are colossal! Everyone who bought and posted pictures have impressive specimens. Never seen those, ever! Would have gladly paid 100$ for those, if we were to move out of state and starting juju trees anew.

1 Like

I guess EL shipped to all of us at the same time. Mine arrived yesterday. Haven’t open the box yet. The soil is hard as rock and frozen solid. I am not going to dig any hole anytime soon.

Wanted to check in and find out if anyone is getting any signs of life on the Honey Jar and Sugar Cane… or what have you from the EL shipment that several of us received recently.

1 Like

I wouldn’t expect it for a while- the trees seemed pretty dormant and jujubes are one of the later trees to leaf out.

1 Like

Thanks Bob… I was wondering what I could expect.

1 Like

I put a Contorted in the ground on March 14 that has not started yet and it’s been very warm here. It’s going to be a while. I planted a bareroot Li last year on March 21 and my first recorded growth pic was taken April 27. It probably had a week or so of growth.
Katy

jujus from colder regions, or from nurseries which cellar their bare roots will take longer to leaf out. Jujus are like nigra mulbs and 'simmons, which seem to leaf out only after several days of having ‘warm feet’. The ground takes much longer to warm up

Actually, my sugar cane - the smaller of the 2 I received- has just now pushed tiny, tiny little green sprouts! Just saw it this morning for first time. Very exciting.

My Honey Jar has absolutely no sign of life. It has worried me a little bit, in fact. The trimmed all the limbs so much that they are even beyond being flush with the truck…the spots where the scaffolds were are actually indented/concave. Plus, it looks really dry and appears as though those limbs were trimmed a LONG time ago. Also there are a lot of scratches on the trunk in different places. All that being said, it is still green when I make a new scratch test and its a broom-stick thick speciman so its probably fine! I feel bad complaining when those like @BobVance and @jujubemulberry who know so much more were so impressed by the tree I got!

you’re right about being worried about the scratches, especially if the buds(one each, neath the lateral stumps) were scratched. If you take close up pics and post i could somehow mark the buds/nodes for you. I actually received a ga-866 from burntridge, and the specimen was scratched all over, as whoever was trimming the laterals did it too close to the main trunk, that even though the tree was ~4 feet tall, only one or two of the buds seem viable. And it is obvious that they trimmed it from way back as the lateral stumps are brown, cracked and looks really old.
The second time i received something from them in this condition. The tree(intended to be a gift) looks dead altogether.

I’ve noticed that on my So. In fact I had already taken a picture of it. Where it was trimmed looks cracked and dead…for a long time! I don’t think the HJ looks that bad. I can tell where it’s been trimmed close for more than this year.

The So