Honey Jar and Sugar Cane Jujubes just became available!

@thecityman Kevin, is this what you have on yours?

(As a GI nurse I won’t comment on how that looks!)

I have several of those low on the tree, looks like it has grown a lot since pruning but the higher trimmed areas look okay I think. This is the next node up.

And it gets better as I go up.

When checking my So I saw this… the trimmed area looks very bad but with camera magnification I can see the beginnings of growth just to the left. It’s been planted 2 weeks today.

I have some scratches on my tree too but not very many.

Katy

Yes, Katy,. Thanks for that…almost exactly what mine look like. But almost worse. The ones that I have that are flush have more cracks and look older and worse than the one in your middle photo. But yea, that pretty well describes it! And none of mine seem to have the little buds shown in your final photo, and CERTAINLY don’t have any growth pushing. Anyway, hope you have good luck and that all of our trees are ok!

1 Like

My HJ has no growth pushing…it’s gonna take a while. It took 2 weeks on the So and that isn’t really visible to naked eye…esp my old eyes. And those pictures of the HJ was taken with zoom which makes everything show up much better. And I’m a lot further south than you. Jujubes are VERY hardy! (I’ve had one for a year…I’m talking like I"m an expert… hahaha :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Katy

2 Likes

Last year, I planted all my 3 jujube very late April 25-29. It took HJ and SC about 20 days to push buds and Shanxi li 25 days. They were planted when the weather were in the 50 F and higher. It still took a while for them to get going.

The good news was by June, they flowered and fruit have set. Very precocious little twigs.

2 Likes

I remember well that you actually got one or two fruit from those the same year you planted them, which is very unusual for most things I’ve grown. My SC is actually already pushing green (just BARELY, like Katy’s So, but its green none the less). Its only (almost) April now so from what you just said I may get to taste a jujube this year as well. (fingers crossed!)

4 Likes

I just got my ToA order. I haven’t fully unpacked, but I took a peek inside. The box was huge (12" x 14" x 5’). It looks like a range of tree sizes from 1/2" to over 1". The Sherwood (which I almost didn’t get) is over 1", with Li not far behind. Shanxi Li is over 3/4", with 3 Sugar Canes in the 5/8" area. Lang is 1/2" (I should have gotten 2 Li instead). I think I’ll take a day off tomorrow to plant…

2 Likes

Bob,
I can’t recall if a jujube from ToA Cost more or less than one from EL including S+ H?

The ToA trees averaged out to $44.92 each, including shipping vs $55.50 for EL. But that is because I got more of them (7 total), which gave me a 10% discount and probably helps on shipping as well.

I’m guessing it would be pretty close for 2 trees from ToA. Of course, EL only had HJ in the big size. Knowing what I know now, I’d probably adjust the orders to get a couple more HJ and a couple less ToA. But, I don’t feel bad about it- both appear to have sent quality trees.

2 Likes

Bob,
You definitely got a deal from ordering more trees. They probably can fit 2-3 trees in a box and charge one shipping cost. My one HJ from EL cost me $43+$25= $68.

I agree with @jujubemulberry that the size of these Hj is impressive. I love the taste of HJ so it is worth it.

1 Like

Not just 2-3…Peaceful Valley got 8 (EIGHT!) trees in my box which was the same size as the one Bob shows. So you remember all those trees that were lined up on my garage door that you said looked like a beauty pageant? Every single one was in a single box the size of Bobs, and most of them were as big or bigger than my HJ from EL! Those guys can PACK! ha

1 Like

Fwiw before ever “white-boy-ifying” it for her, a Chinese Customer/trainee of mine Who seemed to really like to try to freak out the white guy took me to a number of Asian places for lunch. We had jujubes and she pronounced. them jew jew bees without any idea of who I was or what I did as a hobby … it was just how she understood them in Chinese converted back to English .

1 Like

Thank you, Markalbob, for educating me, and also making me feel better about my pronunciation! I really thought there wasn’t a direct tie to Chinese with the name, and am glad I haven’t been butchering it by chance!

Bob! It is revealed that you, too, have drunk the Kool-aid! I know, I know… it was pretty irresistible! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So I also received just received my trees! Not quite as impressive as last year’s batch, I have to say. Clippers for scale.

The Li was probably 3.5-4’ tall, the Sugar Cane more like 2.5’, and quite a puny root on this one. I’m a little worried about its survival, tbh… I am with you, K8tpayaso![quote=“k8tpayaso, post:188, topic:9740”]
The roots on my Contorted were about this size and I was a bit disappointed. These roots really look small to support this size tree. (I’m a newbie and I worry a LOT about everything) :flushed::grinning:
[/quote]

I agree with Mamuang, I think Burnt Ridge sells so many of its Sugar Cane varieties, it can’t keep larger ones in stock. [quote=“mamuang, post:125, topic:9740”]
Someone posted a pic of a large So from Burntridge. It could be that the in- demand varieties like HJ and SC sell so well, they don’t have enough large size for customers.
[/quote]
I will post pics of last year’s Jujube trees when/if I find them. I think they were both around 5’ and an impressive caliper too.

Not many roots on that sugar cane… my Contorted was scant rooted I thought, but it is beginning to push green. I got an IE from BR last year that I dug up after planting and potted it for a while to baby it and then it did quite well. It had roots but they had been pruned very short. At least the roots of the HJ are proportionately better.
Katy

1 Like

I just checked on the jujube rootstock seeds and honey jar seeds I have in Tupperware and most of them have spouted. I’ll try to grow them out this year and maybe graft to them next year.

4 Likes

That’s good food for thought, Katy, thank you. Glad to hear yours is doing well! I’m really crossing my fingers for mine this year!

Speedster, look out–with the popularity of HJ around here you are going to have quite a following wanting to see the progress on your seedlings! Sign me up. Pictures, please!

Also, here are pictures of my Li and SC from BR from last year. As you can see, both are probably 4-5’ tall and a sturdy gauge as well.

1 Like

Looking good. I’m just thinking about how much the neighbor’s kids that play on that playground equipment are going to enjoy eating Jujubes!!! hahaha.

1 Like

Not so late, ground is frozen solid still in my backyard… Honestly I have no idea what a jujube is, gonna research it!

Is another one about to drink the koolaid?? Derek??

4 Likes