Honey Jar and Sugar Cane Jujubes just became available!

Still no hint of life to emerge from my HJ. Anyone else that bought same one from EL over the last few weeks have any signs of life yet?

1 Like

have bought more than 40 trees and planted here in vegas, and some bare roots may wait until mid-june to leaf out.
your hj seems quite plump and sturdy, with plenty intact node areas, so quite encouraging. The ga-866 i got from burntridge was scratched up, wrinkly, and peeling around the nodes(parched sapwood visible), so quite disappointed, considering that they typically send superb specimens.

and i reiterate, ediblelandscaping’s HJ’s are monster-sized! Quite unheard of![quote=“k8tpayaso, post:201, topic:9740”]
When checking my So I saw this… the trimmed area looks very bad but with camera magnification I can see the beginnings of growth just to the left.
[/quote]

glad it is leafing out. A sigh of relief for anyone buying bare-root…

3 Likes

I practically used a microscope while inspecting my HJ, and not so much as a little bump is showing. Sugar cane pushing green everywhere.

1 Like

When did you plant yours? I saw some very small bumps on mine the other day. I will report back tonight or tomorrow morning - it’s going to be a long day in the office, so I’m not certain I’ll get back home before it’s dark.

2 Likes

I planted mine on March 13- no sign of life yet but the scratch test shows enough green that I think its ok…it shouldn’t be long to find out. Good luck at the office today- glad to know someone else has days like that!

1 Like

I planted mine on Saturday 25 March.

I planted mine March 8. To put thing sin comparison, my So is just pushing the tiniest signs of green. I won’t get worried unless I see zero progression after a week.

Did you order yours from right down the street?

Yes. Edible Landscaping is maybe an hour and a half down the road from me. Which reminds me that I want to head up that way and pick up a few fig varieties.

1 Like

Are you near the Star City?

I’m practically on the other side of the state from Roanoke. I live in the Richmond metro area (Hanover County).

2 Likes

Eeeek! OK, after seeing the not so promising look to my SC, I did a scratch test which showed pinkish tissue; then I thought I should do it on the healthy-looking Li for comparison; pink as well. I was comforted, at first–perhaps this is how Jujubes are (you can see the scratched areas lower on the unplanted specimens in the earlier pictures). When I was a beginner with grapes I thought my grape vines had died over the winter because my scratch tests didn’t turn up any green. Those all thrived, so maybe I’m ok. Then I panicked and called BR. I spoke to someone at the desk (Not Michael), and they reassured me that the pink was normal for Jujubes. Phew. Now… you’re saying it isn’t? Noooooo!

Ha! Thank you! Well, people around here don’t even eat mulberries which are dripping from branches along sidewalks in parks and looking so obviously edible, so… I’m doubting anyone else will be venturing to try some strange small, shiny, hard thing that fell off of the neighbor’s tree. But if it does, and if they do, all the better! Maybe they will be the next to drink the Kool-Aid! :wink:

Chris- OK, I don’t want to alarm you at all, and certainly the folks at EL should know what they are talking about, and perhaps you are “scratching” deeper than I am or something…but I got your email while I am home for lunch. After I read it I went out to my orchard and scratched both my HJ and SC Jujubes. They are 100% GREEN- no doubt about it. No pink or anything else that I can see- just a really bright green like I see on any healthy young tree.

I would have taken a photo for you, but I’m so paranoid about the health of my trees that my scratch test is too tiny to even show up with my cell phone cam. I take my fingernail and basically just push in and pull down just enough to peek inside, the then it let that tiny little flap lay back down and press hard and flatten it back out so it can heal. I suspect you are making a much more prominent scratch and therefore may be getting deeper into the actual wood (xylem). I’m looking only at the cambium layer- the micro thin green stuff that we all try to match up when doing grafts.

I hope this helps you and doesn’t worry you needlessly, but I did want you to know that both of my trees scratch test GREEN and not pink in any way. Will be interesting to hear if @jujubemulberry thinks pink is normal?

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback, Cityman! I don’t think I was scratching too deeply; I was just trying to take back the top layer, and I definitely would have halted if I saw a hint of green! :fearful:

hmmm…I don’t get it. But hopefully all is well. Good luck. Still no sign of pushing growth here though. beats me.

I appreciate the support. I see some more frantic scratch testing in my not so distant future!

Kevin,

Did you do a scratch test. If there is green wood then no worries.

Tony

1 Like

Thanks Tony. What we were talking about is that Chris (@MDfruits) said when he scratched all he was seeing was PINK. He then called Edible Landscaping and they said pink is what you should be seeing on a jujube. WHAT??? Sounded crazy to me since all I’ve seen is pink, but both Chris’s experience and EL’s claim that Jujubes are pink instead of Green under the skin seemed strange to me. Not sure what is going on with Chris’s observation, but I hope EL wasn’t just telling him pink is normal to keep from having to replace it!?! What say you, @tonyOmahaz5 , is it normal to see pink instead of green on a jujube scratch test? Surely not.

1 Like

Speaking of koolaid… I just received a Lang from Burnt Ridge today. Oh it has nice roots! Not as big a caliper as the HJ but a really nice tree.

I’m done… from now on I’ll graft… :wink:

Katy

3 Likes

pink is not normal, unless the scratch test is a bit superficial like you mentioned.

some jujus, like li may not show up as green, but more yellowish when scratched.

i hope the dead wood of @MDfruits jujus are distally situated and that they will still leaf out from the lower rungs(above the graft)

BTW, @MDfruits, when did you plant those trees?

whoah! you bought another one??!!
incidentally, reminiscent of my stance back then-- with everyone telling me not to buy lang but i bought one anyway, just so i’d complete my collection :grin:

lang will likely be better tasting as fresh fruit in your area, btw. And even better as dried dates.

2 Likes