Honey Jar and Sugar Cane Jujubes just became available!

I think it might have been Lang that I ate 30ish years ago (as a young child :wink: :grin:) that I really liked–of course not having anything else as comparison. And I thought I might try drying/candying some. And then if that isn’t acceptable I will have a tree to graft to… :wink::wink:

Btw I also got a Shangri La mulberry that is supposed to love the humidity. I’m still hoping the nigra does well–it is bud swelling.

2 Likes

i thought it was 15-ish years ago :wink:

quite possible it was a lang. If not mistaken, lang was introduced to north america earlier than li.
likely that back then , the drying-types were so much more valuable than those for fresh-eating, since refrigeration was costly or not available to the masses, so the agri-importers would go by what the chinese were recommending, since lang could be eaten as fresh fruit, and has a longer shelf-life as dried fruit.

you’re right, i too have seen some accounts of shangrila being fruitful in florida

keep us posted!

1 Like

Thank you…:grin:

1 Like

now don’t be thankful-- people here might think am broadcasting fake news

1 Like

Ya know that fake news is always enjoyed by those that want to hear it…

Here’s your seeds!

3 Likes

Looks like cups of koolaid…

4 Likes

glad to hear some sprouted, considering the scant material you received.

:grin:

Yes, you were right that I hadn’t scratched it properly, Kevin; instead of going too deep I was too shallow (as Raf concurred, thank you). Thank you for your counsel and camaraderie! I was doing the initial test with my fingernail, as per my usual; these Jujubes are so darned hard that I hadn’t gotten all the way through. When I tested them this weekend with a small nick with the clippers, they came out sprightly green. PHEW!

By the way, it was Burnt Ridge instead of EL, but I didn’t spell it out. Seems like a lot of great nurserymen are named Michael, Ha! So the Michael from BR said not to worry but to watch to see if it leafed out, and I guess because of my faulty initial scratch test he was right. I wonder if the person on the phone before him who said it was normal knew better or not; I think that Jujubes are unfamiliar and different enough that a lot of folks just don’t know what to expect from them.

The ones that are pictured in the ground I planted in Feb of last year, the other two I put in the ground about a week ago.

Katie, looks great to me! What a set of roots!

Bob, what a bunch of lovely little ones you have there! So exciting!

By the way, Raf, Amazon has recommended your book to me as one I might enjoy! I think they might be on to something! :grinning:

2 Likes

On the left, my Honey Jar from Edible Landscaping this year before planting.

On the right, the last year’s Honey Jar from Burntridge, after a year of growth (dug up to give away)

HJ from EL was $68, the one from BR was about $45 ( with S&H).

3 Likes

Yeah, my Burnt Ridge jujubes came as 3/8 whips too. Laverne, LE Cooke, and Dave Wilson produce large jujubes and are my preferred choices – aren’t the EL trees from LE Cooke?

yes

glad your jujus are ok. They are supposedly hard to kill, so was a bit perplexed and saddened about your initial report.[quote=“MDfruits, post:249, topic:9740”]
unfamiliar and different enough that a lot of folks just don’t know what to expect from them.
[/quote]

so true!

amazon recommends it to me too, but am definitely not buying :grin:
kidding aside, if you’re a member of this forum, no need to buy that book, there are plenty enthusiasts and juju collectors in this forum to help anybody with tips and photos, and the juju scion exchange is quite active :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad to hear its green and seemingly healthy. My SC is really starting to get some leaves now, but HJ still shows no signs what-so-ever of any kind of swelling or growth of any kind. But its still green so I’m pretty sure its ok. Maybe ours will push growth at the same time.

1 Like

Hi Mamuang.
The information said, Honey Jar do very good in a cooler climate, would you please let me know why you give away your Honey Jar jujube? If it is not working out I don’t have have to try to plant it. Thank you. Vincent

Vincent,

I love the taste of HJ. The reason I gave it away was that it’s a gift to my best friend who is ethnically Chinese.

She was the one who inspired me to start my orchard. She has never eaten fresh jujube. I want her to start with a good jujube variety. I’d have grown it in pot if I did not give it to her.

2 Likes

Mamuang traded up! :slight_smile:

I actually kept my old HJ from BR, as well as planting the much larger ones. I’ll be watching to see which grows better this year- established roots or a monster tree.

2 Likes

I was wondering exactly the same thing! AS big as the new tree is, I wouldn’t be surprised if the smaller one wouldn’t pass it in terms of size and production since it has had a year to establish itself. Seems like a new tree takes a year or even more to really start growing. It will be interesting to see which of yours is bigger in a year or two - the smaller established one or the larger, freshly planted one.

Sure was nice of Mamuang to gift one to her friend! I wish I had friends like that.

1 Like

Thank you so much Mamuang.