Honey Jar and Sugar Cane Jujubes just became available!

Great to hear about Stockdale’s in Bowling Green. I am headed up to WKU Saturday so will plan on stopping by :smile:. Speaking of local nurseries near Nashville. Have you been to Bates Nursery? Its a very large nursery and last time I stopped by they had a ton of fruit trees! I must have stayed for over an hour. Big outdoor area covering a couple acres. So much its a bit overwhelming. You have to stop by and check it out some time. http://batesnursery.com/
3810 Whites Creek Pike, Nashville, TN

speaking of which, and similarly with jujus, i hated jujus when first tried them. Had to try growing as many varieties as we could, to find out for ourselves which would bear prime fruits in our region. Moreover, it took us at least two years to come to a conclusion(even though still tentative) about our favorite varieties. Jujus may be precocious bearing on their first year of planting or grafting, but it would be so wrong to expect for fruits on first leaf to be the same quality on the succeeding year. Fruit quality may radically improve on second year, or sometimes, third year. And may also be affected by ambient conditions.Much like apples and peaches differ in quality as a result of cool-downs or heat-ups, or a heavy downpour or lack of…

4 Likes

I can’t believe you didn’t like jujus when you first tried them! For someone that has as much knowledge and experience with them, I was sure it must have been love at first taste! haha. The good news is you did a lost of the taste testing for the rest of us, so I don’t have to go through a bunch of bad varieties in order to get a good one! (at least I hope they are good!!!)

That is very interesting what you say about 2ed year and later year fruit being better. I’ve heard that about other fruits. But it sort of ruins me and my orchard, because I can never let myself pull a fruit I don’t much like because I always say “well, maybe next year it will taste better, so lets wait and see”. Then next year I say the same thing. hahaha

2 Likes

well the first chinese jujus i got to try were store-bought, and they were li and lang, and definitely not at their prime. I spat them out almost as soon as i popped them in…It’s just that have come across tons of literature about the nutritional/antioxidant value of juju fruits, the amazingly long productive lifespan, the zero-pesticide/zero-fertilizer upkeep and low water requirement which found extremely irresistible. And it sure helped bumping into this old juju tree at unlv campus which was heavily-laden with exceptional fruits. It lead to the big gulp of juju koolaid, and have since tried 50+ flavors of it :grin:

as with other fruits, taste is subjective, and fruit quality/productivity is very much influenced by local growing conditions. You’d be surprised that we actually rate sugar cane and contorted jujus as mediocre, and often cringeworthy, when harvested at the height of our summers, whereas these two are often highly esteemed in other states where summers are cooler
needless to say, actually strongly recommend for anyone growing jujus to try grafting as many varieties as possible, including those that are poorly-rated, since growing conditions vary from state to state. England’s sells scionwood at a reasonable price.Of course one could always ask/trade scions in this forum’s scion exchange.

3 Likes

this is a multi-graft(on sugar cane insterstem) that i find ‘pretty’, and something to look forward to! Happy to see it developing strong upright growth despite being grafted to a lateral.

since contorted seeds have good germination rates, i am hoping that the contorted budwood you sent me was from a sub-cultivar of contorted with ‘chico-like’ fruits not just in shape, but also in taste. Can’t wait to find out if it is in fact a sub-cultivar, but not less intriguing to show as proof( if it actually bears the same quality and same-shape fruits as our contorted’s here) that fruit shape and quality is radically influenced by vegas’ 115F summers.

3 Likes

Nice! I’m looking forward to hearing more.

My jujubes are just waking up. I’m thinking about grafting them soon.

The 2 new Honey Jars haven’t shown a sign of life yet, though I expect that they will. After all, they have for the others who posted pics. The bare roots from ToA have started to wake up, so I’m guessing that they were kept at slightly higher temps and were closer to breaking dormancy.

3 Likes

What I’ve found weird is that my two jujube from last year and my new HJ that I plant in early April this year broke dormancy at the same time (today).

I thought the last year’s trees would broke dormancy first for it has been established.

3 Likes

will definitely keep you posted on this!

also, was so happy to see the single-node segment of bok jo leafing out as well, and also with strong upright growth. And likewise grafted on sc.
Big thanks!
and to @castanea likewise for his patented orange beauty budwood. All the grafts took!
will post the pics as soon as i find them :slight_smile:

evidently, you “keep your cool” much longer than most other states. Most of our jujus have fruitlets already.

2 Likes

like some mulberries, jujus leaf out only when the ground starts warming up. This is why they are less likely to get caught by late frosts. (only caveat is that by leafing out late, some jujus end up being deficient in overall daylight received per growing season, which limits fruit production.

quite likely that your established trees have much deeper roots than the recently planted ones. The ground surface will be warmed more quickly by the sun, so the shallow-rooted jujus are more likely to sprout sooner than the established trees

1 Like

Thank you for the explanation.

I just planted my four and last, So, yesterday. That’s it for my in-ground jujubes. At the moment, I ran out of sunny spot.

1 Like

My Chico has been full of blooms for a long time but none have set fruit yet. The Li has put out excessive growth with much of it being upright but has just now started blooming.

1 Like

you might want to install this on the north side of your property(facing south)if your hoa permits :grin:

kidding aside, was curious where you obtained your contorted from.

2 Likes

we bagged chico flowers and they produced fruit-duds(though could have been false-negatives). Then again–many fruit trees-- and not just jujus, are more productive with cross-pollination. Your chico will likely bloom again on its next flush of growth, and more likely coincide with the flowers of your other cultivars. Your trees are a bit young and don’t have much branching, so your ‘love-lorn’ chico wouldn’t have this problem as the years go by. The bigger/older your trees get, the more likely for their blossoming periods to coincide.

also possible that the fruitlets are already there, but only taking a while to plump up

2 Likes

Got my So from Burntridge, a lot bigger and taller than SC and HC I got from it last year.

3 Likes

Nice, Mamuang! Glad to hear it! I’m finally getting some green on my three surviving Jujubes–Li and Sugar Canes. (My apologies for the blurry image!)

2 Likes

For some reason I just now saw your post about bates nursery. I hadn’t heard of it and haven’t had much luck at all finding nearby nurseries with more than a few fruit trees. Plus, Whites Creek is my end of Nashville. Thanks for the info.

Sounds like you are going to have to move the house or cut some big, old shade trees (if you have some) or buy a new house. hahaha. I mean, when you have it as bad a we do, you can’t let a little thing like sunny space stop you. :slight_smile:

I’m glad you got some more jujubes in ground. Did your friend get the one you gave her planted? Did it survive the transplant ok? Had it grown a lot of roots since you planted it? Hope it does well for her.

1 Like

Kevin,

I called my friend, yes. the donated jujube has survived, yeah!!!

Moving to a bigger house could only happen when my hubby thinks our living room is too small for the 74" TV screen that he is dreaming about :grin:

For me, as sooner as our daughter is off to college later this year, the maple in the front yard could be mysteriously collapsed :). I have a dream.

6 Likes

You always make me laugh! :slight_smile: And trees do have a way of mysteriously dying…isn’t that right @Auburn ? (I am, of course, thinking of the Toomer’s Corner Trees at Auburn. I still cannot believe someone went that far!!! )

1 Like

so a handful of folks got honey jar and sugar cane this year and last.

a larger handful are currently growing seed rootstock.

the people who already purchased HJ and SC are going to be really popular next year, I’m guessing…

(Note I am not judging, but just to clear the air as someone sprouting seeds this year, I love all you guys more than the other rootstock-people. I know it isn’t right, but I just do. Just like the mom in The Prince of Tides…)

4 Likes