Honey Jar and Sugar Cane Jujubes just became available!

Holy Cow! Yours only started pushing growth about a week ahead of me, but now you’ve left me in the dust. Mine doesn’t have close to as much growth as yours does. Nice going!

BTW…if you look really close at both of my new jujubes I can see what I THINK may be the very early stages of flower buds…sort of between the leaves and stems on several locations. Anyone else seen anything like that? Is it pre-buds?

2 Likes

Yep, that’s what you’re seeing.

Btw…I’ve probably turned the heater up on mine sooner than you have. We are consistently in the 80’s. They do like the heat.

4 Likes

WOW! Already got open blooms, too?!?!?! Heat or not, I’m impressed! Mine are barely even visible little round things now. But thanks for confirming that it is flowers. You go girl.

2 Likes

It doesn’t take them long to open. And after a bit you’ll find ants crawling on them. Now we have lots of fire ants here but these a a small little blackish ant that I hardly ever see. And they work the blooms in pairs. I nearly always see two of them on a bloom. There may be more show up later. Seems like I saw trails of them last year. Pollinators.

3 Likes

jujus like maverick heat, but not miami heat, for some reason/s…

2 Likes

And, yes, I’m a little obsessive…I have as many pics of plants on my phone as I do grandkids…don’t ask me to show pictures…YOU WILL NEVER ESCAPE!!!

1 Like

Never thought of ants as pollinators, but I guess they can be! (I’m not smart enough to understand which self-fertile trees need pollinators in spite of discussions on this site!) Perhaps they are doing more good than harm.

EVERYONE here likes maverick heat better than Miami heat. :yum:

1 Like

But yes I do know what you mean…

Katy,
I had to laugh when I saw how well you HJ is growing compared to mine. The comparison fits the definition of day ( yours) and night (mine) perfectly.

This pic was taken a few minute ago.

5 Likes

miami seems not to have enough chilling hours, since chinese jujus are technically still a deciduous species. Though needing just 150-200 hrs.

2 Likes

she warned ya! :grin:

2 Likes

We had a very mild winter here and trees were showing green by mid February. When my tree arrived in late March and planted in warm ground it got excited! :grinning: I do love trees that enjoy the heat 'cause that’s what I can give them and not much alternative. And you got fruit last year so I have no doubt yours will do well. They are good looking trees!

Katy

1 Like

This one is new this year. I do hope this one fruits this year, too.

Your tree looks so healthy. We have been stuck with rather cold temp (for this time of the year) for at least 10 days. Slow everything down.

Hi thecityman,

I’m the complete opposite. In my mind, I have acreage. In reality, I have a decent sized city backyard (having taken over 2/3s of my neighbour’s yard as well on our 4-plex lot. I’ve so far managed to squeeze in 42 fruit trees (many are grafted combo trees) back there, but only 4 are planted in-ground and the rest are in large cedar planter boxes I built (typically plant two fruit trees per 6’x2’x30" tall box). Most are semi-dwarf and a few are on dwarf rootstock.
Been considering adding jujubes to my collection this year. My fruit-tree/citrus guy has several in stock and I think I’m going to pick up one or two eventually.
A question for jujube-growers, of the following varieties, which would you recommend (zone 7-8)?

1. Ziziphus jujube ‘Coco’

This Cultivar Originates from the Nikita Botanic Garden in Yalta, Ukraine. It is prized for its abundant crops of golden brown fruit with a unique, coconut-like flavor.

1. Ziziphus jujube ‘Lang’

Large, pear-shaped fruit which must be fully colored to be best eating. This fruit is best to let dry on the tree. Tree is upright and virtually spineless.

1. Ziziphus jujube ’ Massandra’

Another early-ripening variety from the Nikita Botanic Garden in Yalta, Ukraine, Massandra™ Jujube bears good crops of large, flavorful, glossy dark brown fruit.

1. Ziziphus jujube ‘So’

A new variety, the ‘So’ jujube, is a dwarf tree with a weeping growth habit. The fruit is very large and round with a crisp apple-like flavor, great for fresh eating. It is an early ripening fruit, ripening in August.

1. Ziziphus jujube ‘Black Sea’

Black Sea ™ Jujube is yet another popular selection from the test grounds at the Nikita Botanic Garden in Yalta, Ukraine,

It also bears abundant crops of long, pointed fruit. Especially sweet and flavorful, they turn a beautiful chocolate brown when ripe.

1. ‘Lang’

2. ‘Li’

we have all of the cultivars you mentioned, and li is something i’d recommend in your list. Black sea and contorted are highly recommended by a couple of juju aficionados here, which might do better in your mild-summer region compared to being grown here in vegas . Jujus need as much direct full sun though, so need to plant them at the sunniest spot there in BC. Good luck and keep us posted.

and yes, we’re going international here! :thumbsup:

1 Like

The best person here to tell you what is best suited to your zone/location is @jujubemulberry. Does your guy have all those in stock?

I’m in 8a and I just planted my first last year and it fruited last year. I have Li, Lang, So, Chico, and Honey Jar. I cannot say yet how they are going to do but so far they are looking good and beginning to set fruit.

katy

thanks for the vote of confidence @k8tpayaso , but there are many here who’d have more relevant tips/feedbac than what i could offer, since my growing conditions are a bit too different.

if not extreme…

in fact, by the end of this year, your feedbac may already be more useful to @UrbanAggie since your growing conditions have more things in common…

Oh but we KNOW who we would ask…lol…:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Besides…you got there first… :sunglasses:

And you know I’ll pretty much chime in…with pictures… even though I may not know what I’m talking about… :wink:

And I might want a Black Sea…and of course Sihong…

Kate

1 Like

now that you’re into grafting, and have some seedling rootstoc, best to try as many varieties as soon as you can, including those that don’t get rave reviews. There’s plenty of us here who’d be more than happy to share bud wood. Speaking for myself, roughly 20% of our collection were not purchased, but obtained for free/exchanged…

the relatively unknown varieties may prove outstanding in taste and production when grown in one’s locale. So while it is smart to take into consideration the bad reviews, it shouldn’t be an absolute deterrent to your right to ‘play the field’

4 Likes