Honey Jar and Sugar Cane Jujubes just became available!

Those are pretty fruit. It’s also an interesting composition- the one in front almost look like a chestnut (wrong shape) and are posed in front of chestnut leaves.

I am very excited about this one. I hope it takes for me. It looked very pretty and he described the taste and texture that totally different than the regular jujubes. Here is what the OB tree looked like.

Tony

4 Likes

Nice- definitely one I’d like to try.

Me too. We are jujube nuts.

Tony

1 Like

I love very sweet fruits.

Maybe i can try a few Jujube varieties from the Czech Republic.

Would like to compare them!

2 Likes

Roger Meyers said in his video that squirrels did not eat his jujubes. Do you other jujube growers have that same happy result? If so I may plant some. Do deer eat your jujubes?

The squirrels pretty much leave my jujubee’s alone. But if they eat them, they prefer Honey Jars.

1 Like

Happy to help you uncover your genius, Cityman! By the way, from the sounds of it, you have a lot of land to work with for a City man! I’m envious! I’m working with the limited space of a suburban yard, so I’ve been thinking on the space-saving issue some. You’re also inspiring me to put things between my figs! Maybe trees… maybe more figs! They have been very successful for us, and they do love their sun. Looks like I need to buy some more plants now!

1 Like

Hear hear! I’m in the sweetness club, too. I can tolerate a certain level of acidity, but the sweetness really is a must. I am also glad to hear others appreciate it! I’ve seen people panning fruit for lack of acidity and I always think “What’s wrong with that?”.

1 Like

laterals generally have thicker thorns, and longer ones.
there will always be more laterals than vegetative stems(upright growth/trunks). If you refer to @tonyOmahaz5 picture of the fruiting ‘orange beauty’, there is only one upright stem( the vertical one), and every stem that grows sideways from it are fruiting laterals. Upright stems may develop from laterals too, btw

ga-866 is especially sweet, but like @Bhawkins, we find the sugar levels overpowering, and seems not productive in regions with short growing seasons. I am actually buying a ga-866 for someone whose kids like sugary candies. Better have them eat jujus than empty calories :grin:

1 Like

Good reference for identifying this upright vs lateral growth–with pictures–is raf’s book he just published.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1542309891/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1489195696&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=jujube+fruit+book

Not sure about this policy of posting links here so don’t want to offend but I don’t think he’ll mention it to you and it’s a fantastic reference.

Katy

2 Likes

I got a Li last year as bare root and I got 8 fruit from it in the fall. I do have a really long growing season but that little tree impressed me. The fruit was good. I’m a real newbie with the fruit trees but I’m def sold on jujubes! I’ve now got a Chico and a So coming Monday.

Katy

2 Likes

thanks for the vote of confidence @k8tpayaso! As well as for the free advert!
but there’s no need to buy that book if you’re a growingfruit.org member, since one could just ask here(or post pics of specimens/stems, and will gladly chime in :slight_smile:

and certainly there are many others who’d be able to help with stem identification and pruning strategies.

you will surely love your contorted ‘So’. Your visitors will too, and all passersby! Stops them in their tracks all the time, and couldn’t help but approach the trees for a closer look
and with perplexed facial expressions.
contorteds are also proven performers in DFW area.

1 Like

Oh yes! How well I know that…as I myself have benefitted in just that way! :slight_smile:

Btw…my M. nigra is to be delivered Monday also along with my So.

Katy

hope it will be the real mccoy this time! And you can post pics of that too for a prelim identification :slight_smile:

if it is a true nigra, you’d likely be the first(in this forum) to post progress/updates on M. nigra being attempted in DFW conditions :thumbsup:

Haven’t decided yet to inground it or pot it…guess I better make up my mind… we are a bit warmer usually than dfw.

couldn’t blame you, i’d be in a quandary too if i were somewhat ‘out of zone’

I’m may have asked this question in another thread but are these Jujubes self fertile? I wouldn’t mine planting one just for the novelty and to try something different but I don’t want to potentially waste space planting something I might not like. Especially considering these trees cost about 50% more than traditional fruit trees.

You can try a Li which is a self fruitful and later on you can graft Honey Jar or other good fresh eating varieties to it.

Tony

3 Likes