Honey Jar and Sugar Cane Jujubes just became available!

Out looking at my trees this afternoon. One of the bare roots that I just got you could say the color of the branches is a yellow color. That tree is just beginning to leaf and it’s leafing multiple areas. Couldn’t help but think about it when I noticed the color…

Going back and reading…were you saying the color of the branches were yellow or the cambium? I may be misunderstanding what you were saying. :flushed:

some juju cuiltivars (li , being one i could remember) actually have yellowish or even orange-ish tissue neath the bark with hardly any green. Presence of moisture is an encouraging sign as well, as menioned by @scottfsmith

she got it bad! :grin: But hey, seems to be a promising venture since bare root jujus may cost up to 60$ apiece and still get sold out

2 Likes

It’s a learned behavior! Now, what examples of this behavior have been conspicuously evident that I could have copied?

:flushed::joy:

The cambium is yellowish green. I checked again when I got home last night and last year’s growth, which is reddish, has a greenish yellow tint, not like apples or pears. The bark of the branches does not appear wilted. I tried to scratch off at the trunk again and found nothing green, but like you said it is a very hard wood.

1 Like

Well that is good to here because that is what I have. Thanks for the input.

not sure who copied who.
though quite evidently 'a jujube in every pot(or can, or yogurt cup) is the shared motto :grin:

below are the three dubious ogw cultivars(all over again…)
from left to right autumn beauty, massandra, and winter delight

5 Likes

Ugh ohh. Are you saying OGW looks to have sent out the wrong ones again this year? Or is this more of a one bitten twice shy type of thing.

Cheers!

4 Likes

Hey Katy, I’m curious about the paper clips in your koolaid cups. I could have missed that discussion since no one else asked. What are they for?

1 Like

I’m using them to label the cultivar. Blue is a Honey Jar seedling, Yellow is for Contorted. Red is spinosa. Etc. was just trying to find a quick easy way to mark them. I’m thinking the sun is going to blister that vinyl coating on them and it will fall off. :flushed:. It’s okay for now. Because, when possible, I want to evaluate the fruit of the seedlings I’m trying to keep them labeled. :grin:.

3 Likes

Those are getting big!!

I grafted most of my larger ones. I kinda miss looking at them and knowing that I watched them grow up…it’s kinda like cutting their heads off!!!

4 Likes

I added a Sugar Cane from Burnt Ridge and a Contorted from Clifford England…making me 3 in total now.

2 Likes

Contorteds are so intriguing. The fruit is okay. Not the best but good. Mine fruited first year last year.

Here’s my 2nd year Contorted a couple of weeks ago when you could still see it’s skeleton.

Katy

9 Likes

Those look suspiciously like Ziziphus mauritiana. They’re no good if you’re zone 6. Maybe you know this already - not sure.

yet to find out if they did. They seemed to have messed up our massandra order last yr.

may take a few more yrs to tell,since fruits will expectedly be tiny – if at all, they will bear fruits this yr… the tiny trees they still are

agree, those are not of jujuba species

I probably need to box them up and ship them to someone that wants them.

Did you order seeds from somewhere?

Treeseeds.com Chinese Date Tree Seeds