Honey Jar and Sugar Cane Jujubes just became available!

These guys have them. A bit high on the shipping.

www.nuttrees.net

Scott,
I finally bought one. The total is $68 ($43+ $25 shipping). It is about about the same price as my Shanxi Li from Trees of Antiquity last year.

I expect the tree to be as large as Shanxi Li. The guy on the phone said it will be 5-6ft tall ( they have to trim down a bit to fit a box) and that they have about 50 of them in stock so they won’t be sold out anytime soon.

1 Like

Mamuang,

You ordered from Edible landscaping eat-it.com?

Tony

I just called edible landscaping by phone using Edible Landscaping website.

I don’t like to place order on line. I like calling to order.

1 Like

In about five years that you are going to have Jujube fruits up to your ears.

Tony

Tony,
I hope you are right. By then, jujubes may may the only reliable fruit I could harvest here, judging from the weird weather we have had in recent years.

2 Likes

EL found a nice Contorted Jujube and added it to my order.

In addition to the 3 space heaters, I am thinking of having a couple of charcoal grills around some of my other trees. I’ll have to leave work early to borrow two of the grills and buy charcoal :slight_smile: A coworker warned me not to set the house on fire. If that happens, I’ll quit growing fruits.

2 Likes

illinois everbearing mulberry might be another “wise to late frost” option in your area, if you have room for a big tree. Or a gerardi dwarf if you don’t want a big tree.

looks like you are on a splurge! I hope you get a similarly muscular specimen @thecityman received. HJ’s that size and caliper are unheard of.

1 Like

Yes, it is a very nice specimen! I probably don’t need it… especially with all these on my window sill but I was just lusting for it… and it didn’t do any good when my hubby said to get it. I actually think he’s got a bit of the fever himself and that can be a very dangerous thing to the pocketbook!

1 Like

i guess it is now (officially) taking two to tango :grin:

Those are some good-looking trees, Cityman! You guys are awfully persuasive about the jujubes! I am receiving two next week from Burnt Ridge and I just almost bought a Honey Jar from EL too! I think I need to pace myself! :wink:

For those who are still interested in buying some, I received a Li and Sugar Cane last year from Burnt Ridge nursery that were about the same caliper as Cityman’s new Honey Jar and about 5’ tall. BR also carries Sugar Cane, Chico, Li, Lang, So (Contorted), and Shanxi Li, $35 apiece. Shipping (for one) would be about $15, for a total of about $48 all said. I think shipping drops to about 20% of the order when the order reaches over $100 or so. I hope it’s OK to post the link: http://www.burntridgenursery.com/Jujube-Trees/products/21/

I have been very happy with the trees that I have received from both Burnt Ridge and Edible Landscaping, and both nurseries have been great to work with.

2 Likes

MD,
When I ordered Sugar Cane and Honey Jar from Burntridge last year, they are about 18" tall. They are still small now after a year in ground…

Mine you, both fruited the first year. Amazing how precocious they are.

I ordered a HJ from EL yesterday. The man on the phone assured me that I’ll get a 5-6 ft tall tree. I can’t wait.

Same here. Maybe us east coasters get the small stuff due to shipping costs, but I’ve ordered a number of times because their prices were good and just got little whips.

I talked to Michael at EL and he was so excited to mention how Growingfruit.org was talking all about JuJubes. He has Sugar Cane available as well as Honey jar … basically both bare root as he can’t get them potted quick enough as they are flying off the shelf… thanks to all of you (TheCityMan)

This thread is e-n-e-r-g-e-t-i-c-

Great for the nurseries and for us. Gonna be a lot of scionwood going around soon if you can hold back the urges!!! Be sneaky and lay low for a year or two :spy:

Dax

Sounds great! I am excited for you. Please post pictures so that we can all observe in awe from afar. [quote=“JustAnne4, post:113, topic:9740”]
Same here. Maybe us east coasters get the small stuff due to shipping costs, but I’ve ordered a number of times because their prices were good and just got little whips.
[/quote] I wonder why I had different luck from other folks with those Jujubes from Burnt Ridge. I’m on the east coast too (MD=Maryland, for me). I will try to post pics of the ones I receive next week, for the ongoing comparison.[quote=“BobC, post:114, topic:9740, full:true”]
I talked to Michael at EL and he was so excited to mention how Growingfruit.org was talking all about JuJubes. He has Sugar Cane available as well as Honey jar … basically both bare root as he can’t get them potted quick enough as they are flying off the shelf… thanks to all of you (TheCityMan)
[/quote]

Ha! I love that he’s following the excitement! I met Michael a couple of years ago, and he was absolutely lovely. His business, one of the few nurseries close enough to me to make an excuse to drive to in the course of things, is like a little slice of heaven.
Like I said, I had to stop myself from ordering a HJ from them myself this year! Honey Jar are harder to come by, and by all reports seem to be sweet and tasty.

Good time to get into the jujube seedling business.

Especially if you’re in zone 5.

Dax

[

I agree so strongly with that statement that just giving it a “like” wasn’t enough!!!

I have seriously spent the last few days reassessing the general make-up of my orchard. I’ve known for 3 years that I’m way, WAY to heavily vested into early blooming stonefruit and I just bought more. I’ve been saying for years that even if I only get fruit every 3-5 years that I love it so much I can accept that. But deep down I think that’s just something I lie to myself about. I don’t know if I can REALLY accept that or not! And as a person who doesn’t have much passion at all for apples, I’ve been thinking a lot more about jujubes, persimmons, and other late bloomers. I’ve never seen or tasted a jujube in my life, but this thread alone has me ready and willing to buy several more. I doubt I’ll ever pull any of my stone fruit trees just because of the spring frost problem, but on the other hand I’m certainly thinking differently about my future fruit tree purchases. Anyone sle with me on that?

4 Likes

Since my post I ordered 750-800 Ziziphus jujuba var. spinosa seeds… I’m going to plant rows of them to graft onto in 4-6 years. Maybe even sell seedlings, too.

Being in zone 5b and growing var. spinosa, mother nature will kill the less hardy and leave me with the ones that will be necessary for selling to all people able to grow jujubes. I will still be relying on you ALL for scionwood!! My one Honey Jar I ordered from Cliff ‘ain’t’ gonna cut it! :spy:

Best regards (with humor)

Dax

2 Likes

I have seeds coming from one of the members, I hope to get some roots to graft some scions next year. Will be nice to start from ground up.

1 Like