Hood Pear

This week I topped it at 7 foot, thinned out numerous upright canes, and left fruit spurs down near the crotch.

6 Likes

Nice! I am loving the putting green / orchard. You have been doing a ton or work there.

3 Likes

I have Hood grafted to a root sucker from my big old Winter Nelis, as a backup for when the big tree gets completely devoured by termites. (It was very badly maintained before we got here.) The Hood mini-tree grows well, but it never goes dormant. Is that a problem? It seems to me to be like a person who doesnā€™t get any sleepā€“that somehow the tree wonā€™t get replenished, but maybe thatā€™s my imagination. Iā€™ve complained elsewhere about UFO peach branches never going dormant either, and it suddenly occurred to me that I shouldnā€™t assume itā€™s a bad thingā€¦

@Lizzy ā€“ No worries. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hood Pear blossoms

6 Likes

Lol, mineā€™s blooming too --in NC! But we had all that really warm weather for February. Itā€™ll probably not bloom too early here most years like I suspected it might.

4 Likes

My Hood is also blooming

4 Likes

I donā€™t have a hood, but itā€™s one that Iā€™m considering.

1 Like

I was halfway wrong; my Hood is sitting there with unopened blooms, so not ā€˜bloomingā€™. That works better, weather-wise, but Iā€™ll have to see if the old pears of my neighbor will keep on blooming that long. They still are now.

Iā€™m so surprised those blooms didnā€™t open yet, but Iā€™m actually not used to pear blooms! Itā€™s working much better than bloom with our temps, so itā€™s a good thing.

1 Like

When I grew Hood in zone 9, it would have very few blossoms in the early spring but the main bloom happened in May and the harvest in the Fall.

4 Likes

First ripe fruit of the season :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Harvested 4 more today :grinning:

4 Likes

This year I decided to top my taller deciduous trees at 8 feet ā€“ so I made an 8ā€™ standard from a length of PVC pipe. Hereā€™s photos of the before and after.

6 Likes

Today.

Hood%20Pear%20blossom%202019-01-15

6 Likes

Hood%20Pear%20budding%202019-02-05

5 Likes

8 Likes

Hey, does anyone know if Hood will polinate an Ayers pear tree?

1 Like

At my place the blooms dont overlap.

2 Likes

Orient, Kieffer, and Tenn are better matches.

2 Likes

Thx for that info