How are your annuals looking?

Our annual gardening is starting to go nuts. The squash, tomatoes, beans, cucumbers, peppers and jerusalem artichokes are all coming along nicely!

Garden view:

Squashes:

Paste tomatoes:

It’s going to be a hectic summer of canning and preserving. How is your annual garden performing for you?

6 Likes

Mine are looking great.

7 Likes

Great looking plants Steve!

1 Like

Oooh those little scallop squashes make me remember how much I enjoyed the ones I grew last year! I’m not sure they’ve made it onto my garden plan, so I need to find a spot. Yours seems extremely compact compared to what I grew. Is it a special variety?

I don’t think so. Got the seeds through one of the major seed outlets and they are growing in an Earthbox.

Beautiful garden :heart:

The annual summer crops are coming along nicely.

Jalapenos:

Cucumbers:

Sweetie cherry tomatoes:

Thai basil:

Black krims:

:

San marzanos for sauce:

Spaghetti squash grow vertically:

4 Likes

Love looking at your pictures, @Mickster.
As far as annuals go, the beets got pulled and canned already. Here are the early yellows for slicing from mid May until the main crop comes in, or, until blight gets them. These are all heirlooms.

Peppers. Been harvesting green ones so far.

Onions (4 varieties) will be pulled soon and beans will go in here. The garlic (not shown) will also be pulled soon and sweet potatoes will take their place.

White and red potatoes!

Yacon! First time growing it.

Celery adorned with G-kid art. :blush:

These are Jimmy Nardellos - also a first for me.

Cukes just taking off!

And carrots will potted figs in background.

5 Likes

Looking great!!!

What started off as a KILLER vegetable season has gone down hill quick. The constant rain has made our tomatoes blight magnets and no amount of pruning is going to save our first batch of tomatoes. Our cucumbers and squash also got hit hard by powdery mildew though we got a great harvest before I yanked them. I re-planted new squash and cucumber seedlings and have a 2nd batch of tomatoes that are just about ready to go. Luckily we got a nice harvest before disease took over. Here’s one of many harvests from the vegetable garden:

4 Likes

Nice idea on wire support stability improvement with white tubes!

2 Likes

I’ve not grown Yacon before but sounds like a versatile veggie with lots of health benefits, so we’ll see. One reference said that if the top gets blown down then root growth slows/stops and many reported this to be a problem. So this is my ad hoc support to prevent this. Love my garden ‘tinkertoy’ = PVC. Excited to try this veggie.

2 Likes

How has your celery done?

1 Like

Funny you should ask :blush:
It was doing great until about a week ago when the leaves started to curl. I shoulda paid attention then but was too busy. Just yesterday I pulled them and will be canning them this afternoon. I use the canned celery in soups and stews all winter …well…until it runs out.
Whoops, forgot to mention, I just seeded some more celery and celeriac and see if I can get the latter to give me better bulbs/roots. They take forever to germinate and get a start and this month is time to get organized/sowing for fall/winter growing.

1 Like

I tried growing it in container years ago and had no luck. I think it needs to grow in a bog. It grew fine but was all dry and nasty. Compost material.

1 Like

You are so right. It is not as easy to grow as most veggies, but for me I just keep at it until I get it right. I can’t say I have gotten grocery store quality…yet…maybe next year. :blush: But the results are usable. My biggest challenge is fungal pressures. One thing I like about it is that I can grow it through the winter under poly. Love winter gardening. If the nighttime temps head towards lower 20s I put extra row cover over it to capture the ground heat. It has survived under these kinds of protection to 8 deg. Y’all get much worse than that though.

1 Like