How are your stored apples doing this winter?

A wise person on this forum posted some good advice earlier. Eat your other apples and save the Goldrush for last. I was a dummy and shared most of my Goldrush with others and now I’m down to two in my refrigerator. This season I plan to get my strategy in order.

7 Likes

Bill,
You beat me. I have only one GR left. The good news for me is that I’ve seen lot of fruit buds on this 4 years old tree. :grin:

2 Likes

My two trees of GR are still young so they won’t have many fruit this year. The grafts I put on my pear tree is loaded with fruit buds. Hope we both have a good season.

3 Likes

I moved one of my GRs so that one won’t produce. My other one went biennial so this year I’m in for a nice amount on it. My Crunch a bunch for some reason died off almost down to its graft, but luckily grew back. Gonna be three or four years before I get a taste.

I’m always disappointed if I save my GRs too long, they lose that acid taste I like from them.

2 Likes

Apple varieties still remaining: Idared, Stayman, Baldwin, and Briggs Auburn. Mostly they are only fit for applesauce and baking, but, not being picky, I’m still eating some of them out of hand.

2 Likes

Goldrush continues to rise in quality even when picked entirely to early. Last year about mid August several of my goldrush started dropping early so I picked some of them off a tree that was falling. I bagged these and put them into the refrigerator and slowly ate them through the winter months. Picking this early I wasn’t sure what to expect. After a few months they started to sweeten up and were decent. They continued to improve the longer I waited and finally about a week ago we finished off the last two which were small in size. The last ones had mellowed out and tasted somewhat like a good yellow delicious but with more flavor. My trees are still young and I left more fruit than I should have which is what I think caused the early drops.

3 Likes