How do you spend your winter? Scion shopping?

I think the recipe called for 15 lbs for a five gallon batch. I think I harvested 12lbs but not all were as ripe as they should have been plus I stretched it to six gallons, so the peach flavor isn’t that strong. It taste a lot like Asti Spumante with a hint of peach.

Here’s how to make it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbLY8axvnhs

Its one of those things where you just mentally force yourself to get out there and go. I’ve went a lot now this winter. I ran in the snow yesterday. Feet got wet. It was 15F or so but wasn’t bad.

My wife is big into working out (weights/running) and does everything at the gym…i can’t get her to go in the snow! I’m the opposite. I dislike gyms and would much rather run outside/hike/bike…

If i ran when it was 80F i’d probably pass out and die. When the heat shows up i grab the bike.

2 Likes

Thanks Johnny,
Great video btw. I may try this method next summer when peaches are in season. We get our peaches here in Denver from the western slope of Colorado and what they typically grow out there are usually pretty spectacular. Hopefully once we have some of our own home-grown peaches and apricots, I’ll be ready to roll with a few experimental batches under my belt. This may take a few more years and some luck with our trees.

We just had a baby last fall so the kegerator has been sitting near empty. I think it’s about time to fire up a few batches and re-fill. I may try a lager now that we have an extra fridge that’s available. It’s just about the right size- for a single carboy or bucket. Lagers are something I haven’t tried so it should be fun to learn something new!

On a side note, have you made any ciders by chance? I may hit up the forum on some advice on what trees to plant…yet another fun experiment with possible delicious rewards.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

That video is only one of many I watched to learn how to make it. I didn’t use the raisins. I also used Lalvin EC-1118 champagne Yeast. It ferments just about anything out dry. I have made a few ciders too. I didn’t care for the champagne yeast in the cider. I used an ale yeast and it was better tasting to me. As far as what variety of apples to use you will have to get that from others. I used wild apples and it takes all the apple flavor away. Lots of youtube videos say it takes the apple flavor away too, but there are some on here that claim it doesn’t. Maybe they can help you out better. There is some threads on cider on here.

1 Like

Well, I’m not into beer or wine, but I’ve got stuff potted too, to ease the cabin fever.There are 3 little BC1 nuts sprouting in my cupboard, and the scions in the fridge look good. I’ve got two lots of chestnut, one is from a 100 year old tree, and the other from a 200 year old pair of trees. I picked up twigs from the ground after a storm, so can’t say for sure which chestnut they are from of the 200 year old pair. When the shoots are a little bigger in the cupboard, I’ll graft. The older pair of trees are actually a mature tree and a stump sprout, and the deer have eaten the sprout for many decades, so no one knows what the nuts will be like. This year, the sprout is up above the deer, too high in the terminal bud for them to reach. :slight_smile: I’m hoping to have a copy on the home place, so I can breed from it. I might still have one in the garden, depending on the mice. They ate 3 of them last summer, bad year for mice. I have some blooming seedlings from a very inbred stand of trees, Frye Mountain stand, and the one that bloomed for the last two years does not shed pollen…the bisexual catkins might, but it’s like, 3 or 4 anthers only, nothing on the main catkins. It does, however, make filled nuts if I hand pollinate from the hybrid behind the barn. They are too far apart for nuts other wise. I saved 12 BC1 nuts for myself, and it will be these I’m grafting into. Any body got tips on grafting into an established chestnut for pollination purposes?

Perhaps Steve Kelly can tell if the Slemp Limbertwig is the same as the Old fashioned Limbertwig. If not perhaps Tom Brown can help you out. He has been an apple hunter for a long time. Tom has probably tasted it.
I do want to get that “Hanging Dog Limbertwig” once my trees get a little bigger to take some grafting done to them. That name alone makes me want it. I get suckered into buying an apple tree because of it’s name or an apple history.

@MikeC Steve Kelly says Slemp is unlike any of his other LT varieties.

Does he or you know when this Slemp LImbertwig variety ripens? Now it makes me want to grow that one as well. Slemp, Hanging Dog plus more Limbertwigs too. I need to buy more land…

Most Limbertwigs ripen in October I do believe.

1 Like

That is what I have noticed as well. That is usually late October in warmer climates. I am in SW Ohio so I am worried that the Limbertwigs I would put out would not get the right ripening time to bring out their full flavor. We can get sub zero temps, freezing rain, or snow by early or mid November, not all the time. There are only a couple of Limbertwigs that I read about that ripen sooner. One is a Summer LImbertwig and the other one I can’t remember the name right now. They may be my only choices. I wouldn’t mind trying one later ripening variety just as an experiment.

They’re good to zone 5 am pretty sure, according to Big Horse Creek Farm.

1 Like

The zone issue is fine it is just how late they can take to really get fully ripe. I had the Arkansas Black apple a long while back that was very late ripening. But the early very cold weather we got the apples never tasted very good , even when stored. Other places I had them they tasted great. I would get bushels off that tree but they never were good, too green inside. I should just bite the bullet and get a Limbertwig and try it out.

Now I want to get that Slemp Limbertwig apple tree in my orchard!

You might start with Black Limbertwig.

I agree w Ham. Start w Black Limbertwig. Ham and Scott are both in z7a Maryland- a climate comparable to yours. They’ve both had success w Black Limbertwig. I believe they pick in Oct and then let it mellow in cold storage for a few weeks to improve its flavor. They say it is a fairly good keeper.

I planted one last fall.

1 Like

I will get one of the Black Limbertwigs to try out. Thank you and Hambone for your input and suggestions.