How far back can you cut a peach tree?

Ok, I will try and figure out how to add a photo.

Marie,
When you hit Reply, there will be a row of symbols on the top line, choose the symbol with a short line with an arrow on top. That’s a link to pics. I do my pics from iPad. very convenient.

Others may suggest how to post pics here.

I live in Comox on Vancouver Island, Canada. My growing zone is 7b. The fungicide I used is Green Cross Funginex 6.5.

Marie,

I don’t think the wilted leaves are the result of pruning. I prune peach trees madly in rainy weather conditions and haven’t seen wilting as a result of pruning peaches.

I suspect it’s some root issue. Borers, phytophthora or perhaps wet feet. Also, may be unnecessary to mention, but remember you want to make sure the sprayer you are using to spray the tree has never been used to spray any herbicide.

Marie,
I am no expert but I would like to mention a few things.

I don’t think peach is a type of tree that does well with espelier. If you want to espelier, try apple or pear.

A 5-6 years old tree, if you cut to about 1-2 ft above ground, I think you are likely to kill the tree as there may not be live buds left on the remaining trunk.

I don’t know what the ingredient in your spray is. I don’t know how wet and how dry your soli was.

Peach does not like to compete with grass or other plants. You should not plant anything near the tree. You practically has this tree right in the middle of your flower bed. Not a good move.

I also see areas along tree trunks and branches that look like canker. Usually peach can recover from canker if it is healthy. Your tree does not look well.

There are several experienced peach growers here. The most prominent one is @olpea. I hope he drops by to help you with his advice.

Tippy,

Looks like I slipped my reply in right under yours. :wink:

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your responses. I inherited the tree planted in the flowerbed when we bought this property a year ago. I agree, I don’t like the espelier either, but it did have very vigorous growth until I pruned it this spring. It also had nice fruit last year. We also have two apples that are espelier on the same fence, planted by the previous owner, which I pruned a few weeks later, one is planted in a flower bed as well. Both look very healthy and have fruit developing nicely.
As it sounds like the tree might not recover, I guess there is no loss if I do try to prune back the side branches to a foot from the trunk. If it lives, a bonus, if not, I will have put it out of its misery by guickening its eventual fate. I will give it another fungicide spray as it did perk up a bit initially with the first two treatments, and wait a few more weeks.