How is your weather? (Part 1)

95F yesterday…beats the record from 1895… 94F today…anther record

Rapid City, SD is stuck in the 40Fs this afternoon …

Leaf color is going to be not so good. Lots of trees have already dropped leaves. My pears trees are almost leafless at this point.

Just looking at the NAEFS. It would appear Russia (Siberia/etc) is loading up with cold air. Early snows there can have major effects on weather come winter (cold source region). Something to watch. I know there has been research done on that in relation to cold in the east? i’d have to dig it up.

Chicago getting a run of record highs, too

And no rain in sight

Pear trees turning very early here too. I’m wondering about the effect on next year’s fruit buds

It’s been a pretty chilly week here NorCal last week. Low to mid 70’s. Looks like the high 80’s to low 90’s are returning for the short term, at least.

1 Like

Yeah…ridging coming back out west…we’ll finally cool. Our normal highs by this point must be about 70F…we are a solid +25F …we didn’t drop below 70F overnight and the dews are like July. Insane. My AC has been running nonstop for days now.

Highs yesterday

day 8-10…not showing anything i’d call “cool” for this time of year. Some slight ridging out west… still a very mild look. ugh. We’ll just go from summer to winter in a week.

1 Like

First day of fall already and We are at 90 degrees the last 3 days. Next week the temp is in the 70s.

Tony

2017 Equilux by latitude:

Capture

94F today…another record. Brutal. Went bike riding and not fun.

1 Like

I posted the chart of Equilux dates as a reminder that many plants determine Fall and Spring by day/night period (equilux) and not the solar crossing of the celestial equator (equinox).

We got a little rain in the last week - 0.80 inches. Temperatures 90 degrees or better 5 days in the last week. Like for Rob - our dewpoints are in the July range. It looks like some relief is in the forecast for temps, but not much in the way of rain. I don’t like the idea of going into the winter with dry soil…

1 Like

It got to about 89 here today, which in July or August would be brutal. But, today it wasn’t too bad, just seems to be a lot less humid than those months. I got out there about 11am to weed the strawberry patch, and it was warm, but not too bad. I took a couple of breaks there before I moved on to weeding and mulching the back orchard. I got 5 apples and 2 peaches done. Fortunately, the sun was behind the hill/tree line to be much of a bother. I called it a day about 7pm. I’m happy I got that much done today, but I still have 6 more apple and the 5 pear trees to weed/mulch.

It’s supposed to be on the high 80’s thru Wed, and then drop into more seasonable temps.

@warmwxrules, did y’all get any of that big hail yesterday, I noticed some areas in Wisky got some 2" hailstones.

1 Like

That would be a major storm here! :slight_smile:

1 Like

First significant precip in more than a month. Got about 0.66" so far and probably will be up to 1" or more by the time this is over. Cold, foggy, and rain on and off. A nice change from the hot and dry we’ve had for a long time. Probably will need to build the first fire of the season tonight, although the snow level probably won’t touch us (forecast to be about 9k-10k’).

1 Like

90Fs again today. My God. This is crazy stuff. Large mature trees around me have no leaves. None. Completely bare. I started watering my trees…this after one of the wettest springs/early summers on record. Weird stuff going on. Also …no clouds to speak of lately. Just nonstop blue skies and lots of south wind.

Big temp gradient between east and west. Parts of the Dakotas/NE were in the high 40Fs yesterday.

I wonder if this is a sign of a cold winter.

1 Like

its like that here. one of the earliest leaf drop i can remember. what saved us is we got about 2in. of rain about 3 weeks ago . nothing since. I’m watering everything every other day now. showers coming thurs. with temps in the 60’s. hit 84f today!

90 degrees for 2 days, but it will change soon.

1 Like

Didn’t quite hit 90 here today, think the end of the heat is in sight

1 Like

Been an odd year here similar to other locations mentioned. Early leaf drops, wet summer , dry hot fall so far. It will start raining anytime now. Overall it was a good year but not in any of the ways I thought it would be. The pear and apple crop was not as good as normal. Thankfully other crops were very good. The strange weather continues as if it’s being influenced by some unknown force. The topic I created on the weather and the fears I had on blooms and fruit was far from just a local problem Strange weather - Will it get our blooms and fruit?

1 Like

93F yesterday…beat the record by 1F from 1891 … records go back to 1870s up here.

Looks like it finally ends today…showing 87F this afternoon. The GFS has been hinting for some time of another warm blast that first week of October…maybe another run into the 80Fs. Shortening…quickly now…days should really limit extreme temps.

2 Likes

They’ve had flood watches here for two days and the local weather station predicted 4 inches total Sunday and today. You guessed it nothing but sunshine.

They often seem to predict storm totals here that would be monthly records much less daily.

2 Likes

Clear skies this morning for the first time in days. :slight_smile:

1 Like