How is your weather? (Part 1)

Wow…i’ve never witnessed a tornado… there have been a few in this area over the last 20 years…but nothing within my eye sight. Around here there are bluffs, millions of trees…everything gets rain wrapped and you can’t see very far unless you get high up on a ridge…

My wife and I were driving back from Wyoming (snow storm in late June 2003 in the mtns there) through South Dakota and we just missed a huge tnad outbreak…somthing like 67 tornadoes that day in S Dakota.

1 Like

I was checking out Alpine…you guys even got some humidity…dew point of 60F! (i’ve got 69F dew right now…its a grease box out there in the sun…fun day to go work road construction!)

http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KE38.html

1 Like

The humidity for us right now is crazy, normally humid in the summer with all the big Ag irrigation running full bore. However, right now we are at a dew point of 72 degrees, 84 degree air temp, even with a NORTH wind of 15 mph. Forecast says even with a north wind for the almost the next 24 hrs the dew point will be still be in the upper 60s! Usually a north wind here in the summer means a small reprieve from the heat and humidity. The only positive is we might see some rain tonight.

1 Like

Yeah, they are usually rain-wrapped here too. Were on the way out of the sub-division when they blew the sirens so we turned around and came back. Once this funnel passed, we left again. The wall cloud was pretty impressive as it headed east. Very high plains looking.

This is the second tornado that I’ve seen and the 2nd that I’ve been close to. The first one I saw was an EF3 that did significant damage near my home town in 1998. Yesterday was the second funnel. The third hit probably 1/4 of a mile away from my apartment at the time in 2007 in Iowa City. I did not see that one as it came through at about 10pm.

1 Like

Thats some scary stuff to see outside yer house. Thankfully it was winding down. Twisters are pretty rare in these parts, even tho they do happen from time to time. There was a F0 or F1 hit about an hour east of us last month. We generally just get the gully washers here.

It was already 90 at noon today, yikes. Maybe that mowing will have to wait until tomorrow. You know it’s hot when the AC comes on at 10 in the morning, and we set it to 80!

1 Like

In Burnaby, BC Canada we had the longest stretch of snow and freezing weather in generations. We usually are blessed with some of Canada’s balmiest winter Temps but it was frozen here till mid March when normally we are above freezing except for a few days here and there. Now we are in a 22 days hot dry spell locally and there are at least 215 wildfires burning out of control through the interior of the province of British Columbia. Very unusual to have such extremes of weather conditions and temperatures. The last 3 weeks of sun has been great for my edibles/fruits though especially my berry crops. Just waiting for the fruit trees to catch up. Out “winter that wouldn’t end” then a very cold wet springs means we are literally at least a month behind for our fruits ripening and harvest dates.
Anthony

2 Likes

Weather Service posted a notice that the usual weekly emergency test wouldn’t take place today at 10:am because of storms that might produce an actual tornado, thus confusion

1 Like

here in n. maine we had the same. my berries are 3 weeks behind. i hope i get a crop before the frost hits.

1 Like

My AC runs a lot. I try to keep it around 75F in here. Its more the humidity then the cooling. In winter we keep it 68F-70…just like mother nature intended :wink:

I went 18 years without AC…we didn’t have it. Even our cars growing up didn’t have AC. Those included some very hot years. 1995 was brutal … We also didn’t have a basement…and i was upstairs… box fans. Oh was sleeping fun back then. No wonder i never minded winter as a kid. Now its payback.

22 years tomorrow…i was out on the boat the afternoon of that day…only boat on the lake. The water was like a hot tub.

3 Likes

The weather has been unstable in Michigan. Only one inch today, but there was one inch about 36 hours ago and 1/2 inch about 5 days ago. I have anticipated my August 1 plantings. I just mixed seeds with compost and scattered until the last minute (and got soaked on my way back).

I am going there now to also plant the cover crops in a few beds ahead of the next storm, and this will be it as far as planting this year. You have to use these weather events, seeds pop out of the ground and they are off to the races when you get an inch. It has been a sauna here too, yesterday I could not believe that 80F would and could feel this hot.

1 Like

Finally rain - not really sufficient, but enough to crack the first cabbage.

Making coleslaw

2 Likes

100% humidity rain on the way I hope.

1 Like

93F with a 78F dew point…its nasty out there.

1 Like

I just got back from Burnaby. She certainly was dry and warm!

1 Like

Oh really, are you living or visiting the area? Another warm sunny day. Getting my roof replaced next week so hopefully forecast for continued dry hot weather for the foreseeable future is accurate. The interior could use a lot of rain though to stop the wildfires

1 Like

I have family who live in Abbotsford, so I was staying in Burnaby. Beautiful place!

1 Like

We had some strong winds and heavy rain a few days ago.

Even a Tornado appeared near the Airport (Not my pic)

4 Likes

Breaking triple digits yesterday in Kansas! Great pear and blackberry ripening weather!

2 Likes

Way to be upbeat!
We got .80 of rain last night with no hail, I’ll take it!

3 Likes

We definitely don’t want cool weather or rain right now. Don’t want to slow the pear ripening or berries with cool weather. It might impact sugar content. The rain might crack my pears and turn my blackberries to mush. I’m hoping for 100+ Which should also kick my figs in gear because it’s getting late and I have figs that have not started to set fruit.

1 Like