How is your weather? (Part 1)

Just had a line of storms pass through, got a quick 0.3", on top of another 0.5" last night. We certainly needed that, it hadn’t rained in a whole two days. :roll_eyes:

I was hoping to get all of my flats of veggies planted this weekend, but that ain’t gonna happen, unless it warms up and stays dry for about 5 days. I also have my indoor grown plants that need to be planted out, as they are already 3-4" high, but it looks like I’m going to have to pot them up into cups and wait another week.

All this rain is not good for my newly planted raspberries, some are drooping, and others are showing signs of curling and discolored leaves. The new blackberries don’t seem to be bothered by it too much.

2 Likes

Looks like a very warm weekend is about to show up…iceberg lettuce=fail. Might have to just pull it while its still good. Sat-Mon all look 90F ish…

1 Like

:open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth:

Rain is back tonight and tomorrow am. Oh please mother nature, let me garden and work in the garden!

3 Likes

This time of year, I’d keep it. One or two hot days aren’t fatal

what forecast…only 2 out of the next 10 are expected to be dry…have noticed that my citrus trees have dropped a lot of fruit and the one peach I have is splitting…oh well…got to deal with what mother nature dishes out.

1 Like

More rain yesterday, last night and this morning. I noticed many of the blossoms on my Black Boy peach were washed out. Turning brown and falling off. Will all of this rain deter pollination? It has to?

Pretty sure it affected pollination here

got some beneficial showers today. well needed! everythings that bright spring green!

2 Likes

What a pain I’ve never had more blossoms, ever!!! And to me that meant fruit, looks really so so :zipper_mouth_face:

We really lucked out up here in Maine. We haven’t received days of rain like those South of us recently. Everything is just about done blooming…apples still going & blueberries…but bumbles work in less than stellar weather if our weekend washes out.

3 Likes

I always see the bumbles working their favorite honeysuckles while the other bees are flaking out

3 Likes

87F …87F…90F…91F…87F… The forecast for Thurs-Mon…

all my mason beess hatched out last week just as my honey berries flowered. seen bumbles in my hydrangeas flowers and the creeping charlie on the lawn. currants are starting to flower. my new cherries juliet and carmine jewel are leafing out nicely. the juliet i had in the garage over the winter that i thought didn’t make it is sending shoots from the base so now i have to find a spot for a third cherry bush.

5 Likes

Maybe not on peaches that self-pollinate? The rain could wash the pollen to the right parts, I’d imagine. Not that I know that for sure :wink:

My one peach that needs other pollen (JH Hale) didn’t get it due to the freeze taking most of my other blossoms earlier. But 2/3 of those trees still fruited some! Even after 2 different nights where neighbors got down to 21 degrees.

I don’t think the bees noticed those few flowers left enough to carry the pollen over to the JH Hale. (Or it got pollinated and its flowers just aren’t nearly as hardy, which is possible too.)

1 Like

Mrs. G.,
Black Boy peach flowered this late? Even my late peaches finished their blooms over a week ago.

Black boy finished blooming about four days ago. It had such a fancy flower. It was loaded Mam, I am so disappointed. Spraying tomorrow!

.5" of very much needed rain last night/early a.m. With any luck we’ll get some more today/tonight.

I still have peaches with petals…its so messed up this year. The trees also have almost no leaves…are just sending out new shoots. April screwed everything up badly. Now its 90F and humid.

I think my large 10+ year old Alderman plum may be toast. Suck because it is a very nice looking tree…but the leaves are sad and there aren’t many. I already pruned it back hard…we’ll see.

Extended is hot hot hot.

We received 0.04" in the early A.M. The plants loved it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like