How is your weather? (Part 1)

Not good.

1 Like

We were gone most of the day as I had a medical procedure. It went well, nothing significant found. Still a bit loopy from the drugs, my wife said i said some funny things in the recovery room, but didn’t remember any of it, so musta been some good dope! We got home about 5, I took a quick nap then went out to inspect things.

We have had about 1.5" of rain over the last 12 hours in three waves, and are getting another round now. Gardens didn’t look too bad, a couple tomato plants had some branches on the ground, but got them staked back up. My big 3ft bushy Freedom blackberry was leaning some, i suppose from the high winds we’ve had plus the wet soil. I propped it up with a wood block, hope it makes it OK. My wife noticed some missing leaves on our big cuke plants this morning in our large plot, so i imagine it was deer. So, looks like we’ll be putting some type of fence around it tomorrow.

Glad to see that temps will be a bit more normal the next few days because of the clouds and rain. Just hope we don’t get any flash floods. Feel sorry for you folks down OK and TX way, with the searing heat, sure don’t miss that anymore!

5 Likes

Rain here every day. Really hard core sometimes. So hard it tears stuff up. One silver lining. It’s mostly staying under 90…

Glad your tests went well and that your temps are going to moderate some. I am surprised though that a deer would eat your cuke leaves. Around here, squash and cukes don’t get eaten unless the deer are starving and they can’t find any other green matter. Is your cuke variety have less prickly leaves than most?

1 Like

I just got done planting cabbage, corn and two types of pumpkin. It’s doing this right now. I guess I won’t bother watering in! LOL…

Thanks, the prep for the test was worse than the test itself. I couldn’t eat anything solid all day Thursday, just a liquid diet, and then had to drink some nasty salty solution to clean me out, so didn’t get a lot of sleep that night. But, the test went quickly, they gave me a hypnotic beforehand, so I didn’t remember any of it.

Anyways, yes, deer have eaten on our cuke plants in the past, but not down to the ground like sweet potatoes or beans. Usually, the cukes grow fast enough to allow a little damage and still produce. We grew pumpkins last year and they hardly touched them, probably because their stalks are really spikey. I can’t remember if zucchini are attractive to them or not, but we are growing some this year.

Its only 75 now, but pretty humid, but there are some showers moving in. We have clothes on the line that’s going to have to be brought in. But, nice to not have to use a dryer in the summer!

Yuck.

We got another 0.7" this evening, which means we’ve had about 2.5" since early Friday morning. Plus, we’re in for some more over the next couple of days. Since it has been so dry over the last month, we haven’t had too much as far as flooding is concerned. Plus, the gardens and trees seem to have taken it well. But, we’re getting to that point where it’s getting to be a bit much, but can’t control that.

Before the rain hit, I was able to get the three pluots and two apples weeded and mulched, looks much better now. So, that’s 12 down, and just 17 more trees to go. I will admit, the wet soil makes it easier to pull out those pesky weeds.

1 Like

85 degree temp with 95% humidity is a silver lining?? Guess you are a glass half-full type of guy. :grinning:

2 Likes

The 7 day forecast shows highs in the upper 70s/low 80s with max dewpoints in the upper 50s/low60s. That kind of mid-summer weather is one of the few reasons people live in MN.

3 Likes

Yesterday

starting tonight, 50% chance or better of showers all week . upper 70’s low 80’s. this will really help develop the late summer fruit crop. just in time. :wink:

2 Likes

Really pouring here this evening. Really don’t need it, since we’ve already had 3" over the last few days. Might get another inch out of this cell, which is actually coming out of the SE, very unusual. It’s been spinning around this area all day, I was hoping it’d wind down after sunset.

That low was around here for about 3 days, didn’t want to shift

2 Likes

suppose to shower all week. hope fully my new plants on my managed property survived till’ now. i didnt water them at all. just mulched. most are pretty drought tolerant like buffalo berry, western serviceberry and autumn olive. more worried about the honey berry, elderberry and raspberries. if they made it, its the mulch i put on them that saved them.

1 Like

Another half inch last night, giving us about 3.5" since Friday. There was a little stream running through the corn patch, so i had to do some digging to build up a berm to keep any more water from draining in.

61 degrees with a 20+ mph wind. It feels almost Octoberish. One more cool day then a bunch of days with highs in the 70s and low 80s. Awesome

1 Like

im glad thats heading our way! been hot and muggy. raining like crazy today. lawns flooded. havent seen that since early may.

Rain showers only making it horridly humid inly. Need rain!!!

Crazy here recently. Over 200 people were killed nearby by flooding and mudslides. Then 2 weeks of the highest temperatures in recorded history with zero rain. Often Over 40 degrees. Later today a typhoon is expected to hit, but For the first time in 60 years it’s coming from the opposite direction. People are not quite sure what to expect. I feel really bad for the people in places like Hiroshima and Kurashiki because they’re still doing the cleanup work from the disaster. Much of the drainage infrastructure is still jammed with rocks and dirt, So there’s nowhere for the water to go. This typhoon should pass directly over top of them dumping a lot of water and Highwinds.

1 Like