How is your weather? (Part 1)

Dallas/Fort Worth Texas

2 Likes

Not to horn in, but itā€™s an acronym for Dallas-Fort Worth. I lived there for 30 years, the metro area is called the Metroplex.

1 Like

I biked up the bluff today (its a mtn biking trail that people hike, but luckily no one was on it)ā€¦i had 38F in the van at the bottom and rain and up on top there were flakes. The elevation gain is only about 500ft, but still gets the heart racing going up. GPS shows only 24mph on the way down for top speed, but the trail was wet and probably slick (i didnā€™t test it).

5 Likes

Nice bike. Iā€™m looking for a bike like that to ride around here on our hills. What kind is it? How many gears?

Had an inch of snow here today, but it didnā€™t stay. Was pretty, sticking to the red oak and maple leaves. It was also our first killing frost at home here, although we had one a while back at my rural orchard.

2 Likes

Went from the 60ā€™s Thursday to hard freeze last night. I donā€™t know how low it has to be for yā€™all to call it a hard freeze but we hadnā€™t even had a frost yet and it was 28 on my hill early this morning. Iā€™ve read long range forecasts that say we should be warmer than usual this winter but Iā€™m not taking the bet on that. My horses havenā€™t even wintered up yet but Iā€™m thinking they better!

2 Likes

Frosty morning here in Kansas. The wind finally stopped blowing yesterday. I think the temp was in the 30 degree range. Most everything got froze yesterday.

2 Likes

Same here in Omaha. Last night We got a taste of Winter and real hard frost. The leaves will be flying everywhere in the next few weeks.

Tony

2 Likes

Love your landscape

Weā€™ll get that tonight, tho there were one or two snowflakes this morn

Its a Santa Cruz heckler frame (came with rear shock) from maybe 6 or 7 years ago? They had a end of the season frame clearance so i bought the frame and then built it up from thereā€¦bought the front shock i think off amazonā€¦and the shifters/brakes off ebay or jensonā€¦ the wheels are some cheapish bike nashbar set but i really like them. I try to stick with mid level componentsā€¦ Bikes are pretty easy to build/ work on. I think i have 30 gears but that is way overkill and the trend today is 1x (1 ring up front and 10 or 11 in back)ā€¦ i do recommend hydraulic discsā€¦ mine is a 26 (wheels) but it seems like 27.5 and 29ers are all the rage now.

Watch ebay/CL and slickdealsā€¦buying used can save a lot of moneyā€¦especially if someone is hard up for cash. I highly recommend a full suspension if you are going to hit trailsā€¦they are just so much smootherā€¦even biking around town that rear shock really cushions the rideā€¦although the trade off is more weight.

35F this afternoonā€¦brought my pumpkins insideā€¦

Nice 70 degree fall day. Did some yard clean up. Thunderstorm tomorrow, 3+ inches of rain.

1 Like

upper 50ā€™s and sunny today. i heeled in, for the winter, all my cuttings that took , hopefully 3 or 4 survive so i can start my native blackberry bed next spring. been looking for a z 3 hardy blackberry for ages. they arenā€™t much bigger than a wild raspberry but the plant puts out a lot of them and theyā€™re pretty tasty! only a very small thorn every 10in or so and none on the branches. sent a bunch to Ken at oikios. he may be propagating them for sale on his website if he likes them. would be neat to see! Iā€™m just glad to finally have a blackberry to grow here!

1 Like

So far, so good with my Nelson blackberries at the border of zones 3/4. The only problem was that we left on vacation just as they were starting to ripen. The few I tasted were good. I havenā€™t given them any winter protection, but we havenā€™t had any test winters since I planted them. They do have thorns and are about the size of a red raspberry.

1 Like

FINALLY turned off my air conditioning today. Hopefully we wonā€™t need it in the coming months. :slight_smile:

1 Like

thats good to hear. i was going to order some nelsons but the ones i found wild are nearly thornless and are of the same size you describe. they have beautiful red canes also. when i first saw them earlier this summer i thought they were black raspberries. canā€™t wait to see how these perform in cultivation. they were competing in heavy grass and still had a lot of great tasting berries. should be even better when grown without the competition!

1 Like

Strong winds tonight starting about 6pm. Basically a Norā€™Easter is blowing through. Right on schedule for this time of year. Ugh. Going to the grocery store.

1 Like

Noticed a few things look melted this morning. Airport showed 30Fā€¦most stuff still looks fine. Cold/clouds and 43F. A little sunshine this afternoon, but its been hard to come by the last week.

1 Like

We had our killing frost this morning. I had 20 in my yard this morning and I think the official at the airport in Iowa City was 23. The leaves are really coming down this afternoon.

I got my yard mowed the and the mower and weed whacker put away. Always a welcome sight to not have to look at the mower for 5+ months.

3 Likes

Donā€™t forget to blow out all sprinklers and unhook all garden hoses to prevent water pipes brokerage.

Tony

1 Like