How is your weather? (Part 1)

Oh, please keep it north. Keep it north. Keep it waaaaaayyy north!

The warm weather that so much of the country has been enjoying just finally made its way to the southeast. We just switched from cooler than avg weather - low to mid 60’s day, mid to upper 30’s at night, to the 80’s daytime and 50’s at night. I will not be a happy camper if there are any freezes before next winter approaches.

Rob,
15F on one of those days or nights.Have your plants been growing much outside? Brady

I have a bunch of seedlings outside, but those can all be brought inside. Other then that everything is still pretty tight right now. We have a lot of low 50Fs/mid 50Fs in the forecast and then another warm up next week (upper 60Fs)…Only thing i would worry about at this point is maybe the apricots…

The newest model run is even colder…single digits!!!

Keep in mind this is a long ways out and the GFS always seems cold. We have no snow cover, nor is there any anywhere within a couple hundred miles of here…if we get some snow…then all bets are off. As long as my plants stay dormant i don’t are.

1 Like

Rob, most of my stone fruits are about to bloom and that cold front will be bad. Light bulbs and tarps are ready just in case I have to cover the trees Have my fingers crossed.

Tony

Rob,

Appreciate your weather hobby. Do you know what the expected long term modeling shows for Kansas City area?

Like Tony, everything is about to bloom. Earliest I’ve ever seen, so of course high probability for crop loss.

1 Like

Warm weather continues in NY. It will continue at least for the next 7 days. My trees may be flowering one to two weeks early.

I usually first look at the GFS to get a hint of what may be coming

Kansas City
http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=KMCI
—These numbers are just that…and they need to be adjusted some…the GFS always seems too cold.

Then i check the Euro

(trough over the plains)

My guess is we at least go back towards normal after next weeks blow torch. If we see snow (March is one of the snowiest months here), then temps can plummet after that (high pressure/clear skies/etc).

Just a note: GFS runs 4 times a day (so it will change every 6 hours)…6z/12z/18z/0z…the Euro runs twice (0z/12z)… There are other models too (NAM/UKMET/NAEFS==Canadian)… but the Euro/GFS are the biggies.

2 Likes

Rob,

I clicked on your link. Am I reading that right? A predicted 4F for the low on 3/23 for the Kansas City area?

1 Like

Yeah…one model run though…and the 6z at that…and its way out. Way too far out to take seriously…but a pattern change (to cool/cold) is probably a good guess at this point.

I’ll give it a few days and then take a look at it again.

1 Like

The weather channel for Omaha is looking OK to 3-23-16.
Omaha, NE Monthly Weather Forecast - weather.com.

And for KC also looking good to 3-23-16.

Kansas City, MO Monthly Weather Forecast - weather.com.

I hope We miss it.

Tony

3 Likes

Tony…

This is based off the GFS… can be accurate…sometimes.

Mid/upper 20Fs are possible…3 mornings in a row.

1 Like

Rob,
Any relief in a long term forecast? We are in the upper 90s for about 9 days now and will remain the 90s for how much longer?

Tony

1 Like

Come visit Seattle for awhile,Tony,but bring a light jacket. Brady

3 Likes

Yes… I would say around the 18th thru…at least the 21st should see some decent cooling. Until then it looks hot. I’ve also tagged a lot of 90F+ days this month which is a little odd. I’ve had summers where we had almost none.

1 Like

Hot dry weather like its supposed to be in Kansas this time of year. Grafts are growing, pears are filling out, cherries are finally picked off the trees, blackberries are developing, things are going smooth as long as we have something cold to drink to cool us off when we get out of the field!

6 Likes

Nights are still a bit chilly 6C last night but par for the course. The days are long with the sun up at 4.30am and going down a 9:30 pm, not the longest day yet but we are getting close.

3 Likes

It’s been hot (for us) over the last week, with no rain. We actually had to water our newly planted gardens today, as it’s getting a bit dry. I think it’s been close to 90 the last couple days and a bit breezy. I hate to say this, but we could use a bit of rain, which we’re supposed to get later this week. The A/C has been running a lot this weekend.

3 Likes

The dew point was up to 75F overnight… most humid weather yet this year. Looks like a good 5 days of 90F or better…before the winds turn more westerly and more northwesterly by late weekend…

This will be the most AC i’ve used in June in a long time… . La Crosse running +8.1F for June so far… As of right now we would be running #2 hottest June of all time …but lots of time left this month for that to change.

1 Like

That kind of dew point sucks…!! The highest dew points I remember seeing have been in WI. Not that it’s normal just what I remember. I think in the 82-85 range. Which if air temp gets 100 or above is deadly.

Maybe it gets that high in the southeast but I haven’t seen it. People like to say 100F and 100% humidity, doesn’t happen above ground. Can happen in a cave. 100/100 would kill half the population in a few days if not for AC.

1 Like

This why I LOVE Cali. We get plenty of triple digit days per year, but our dew point is a comfortable 20-40f during those times.

3 Likes