How is your weather? (Part 1)

If it was July 12th…this wouldn’t be a big deal, but this seems about a month early. I really do wonder how the rest of the summer will shape up. My AC has been running nonstop.

I think we avg maybe 1 or 2 days with an 80F dew point… I really look more at dewpoints then temps. 95F can be tolerable if the air is dry…95F can be deadly if the dp is 70F+… I went biking one night a few summers ago and the dew was near that 80F mark and it was like i had a hard time breathing…like you are swimming/.//the air is so thick. Just pure sweat. I can’t imagine living in the tropics where this is just daily normalcy===Bangkok comes to mind…i think that is the hottest city in the world…2 seasons…hot and hotter.

What is interesting is the big cities…like Mexico City…sits at a very high elevation…same with Bogota in Colombia… i’m sure before the days of AC… most people fled to the higher elevations…Bogota has a climate like spring year round. I met a girl once from there…they would vacation in Miami because it was “cold” in Bogota!\

I’ve never been to Germany, but i was reading something like less then 5% of houses have AC there (not sure how old the article was)… France was similar. I know in Japan they are very strict with AC usage…

One other thought…we were out in Denver years ago…summer time…it was mid 80Fs in the city…we drove (there is a road) to the top of Mt, Evans (14K) and it was low 40Fs…we froze (still snow up there).

4 Likes

Makes sense. It’s in the mid-90s here in Boston today and people in my office were wearing sweaters or scarfs because of the AC. Seems counterproductive. Like, what’s the point of being able to manipulate indoor temperatures if you do it to a degree of discomfort?

4 Likes

We finally got about 3 inches of rain last night and will cool down to the 60’s tonight. A little relief from the 3 weeks of heat.

Tony

1 Like

Then in winter the heat is so high that you need a tshirt on.

Looks like 19th-21st should offer some cooler temps… although extended looks warm to me. Might be a long summer.

1 Like

lots and lots of rain here…we were at a 5 inch deficit and are now almost 5 inches over normal for this time of year. May was hot and dry, June is turning out to be soggy and humid…on the plus side it’s kept the temps down for us, but I’m going to have to watch for fungus, especially in the lawn…

1 Like

I’m seeing an amazing amount of growth… these long sunny
June days…some recent rain and hot/humid weather is driving everything into overdrive. I guess there is a positive to this weather.

3 Likes

If you are going to report weather like that, then I make a motion that “warmwxrules” be banned from using the terms hot, humid, warm, muggy, stiffling, etcc… during the months of June through November!

2 Likes

Looks like one week+ of 90F heat here in the Bay Area. I wish the heat wave would have come a week earlier. My apricots would have sweetened up some more!

2 Likes

We finally got some rain after a flash drought of about 17 days right in the traditionally wettest month of the year. We had two rains today to get to 0.53 inches. Not sure how much of the 0.43 in rain sank in, as it all came within 10 minutes. At least there was a small rain of 0.1 in earlier in the morning to pre-wet the soil.

Unfortunately the rain won’t save several patches in my lawn that succumbed to the flashy drought and sudden onset of hot weather. Boo! Nothing worse than babying bluegrass/lawn grass.

2 Likes

Hopefully the Burgundy Plums ripen better in the heat!

7 Likes

This is going to get ugly for my tiny Namwah banana pups. May have to pull out the shade cloth.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a “maybe”. It’s new in ground, you will need to protect against hot sun. My Dwarf Cavendish suffers sunburn after 3 days of 90+ F early this week. I had to move them to a part shade (they are in pots)

3 Likes

We had high eighties these past few days, now back down to livable weather, its in the sixties! All of the gardens are now in and its time to net!!!

3 Likes

Do you have to spray down your nanners/water daily? I grew them for a few years here (stored the corms)…I had SDC and basjoo…did good once the heat/humidity started. I grew castor beans one year and the thing had a trunk…it actually flowered and set fruit …never grew them again.

1 Like

Do you grow avocados?

1 Like

I tried to…but one week of 90sF while I was traveling and it croaked.

1 Like

Too bad…those things are worth gold these days.

I read someone bought an avocado and found a bullet inside it…got to wonder what else that bullet went through before going into the fruit.

2 Likes

My family consumes one avocado every two days. When my kids grow up, I’m sure that’ll double. I wish I could grow avocados but it’ll be a long time before I could ditch the grocery store 'cados!

And yeah, what’s up with the prices these days. I’m surprised some other country (other than Mexico) hasn’t jumped into Avocado production.

2 Likes

I used to have the biggest avocado tree in Puerto Rico and they were excellent!

4 Likes

I water the pups every 3 days. I water the full grown dwarf orinoco daily.

1 Like