How is your weather? (Part 1)

We are having wild swings- like spring yesterday with a warm and very heavy rain. It melted all the snow that preceded temps that got to a -13 according to my cheap digital thermometer, which means it is either inaccurate or I am blessed with the worst fruit growing spot in my area. All weather underground sites except one nearby are 3-7 degrees warmer- and I’m not even at the base of the hollow where I’m located.

Now that the snow is melted we are going to have lows near zero this weekend. At least all the water in the soil will make temps more stable where the roots are, but snow would be much better. This is tree killing weather.

It will be interesting to see how the lows affect stone fruit flowers if we don’t get any other flower killing events. When you have multiple killing events you never get to know for sure whose responsible. I’m just not able to get solid info by inspecting flower buds. Guess I check some CA nect buds today to see if there’s any browning of ovaries.

2 Likes

No, I wasn’t offended at all. I just explained because after I posted it, I realized it could have been misunderstood or taken the wrong way. I have the bad habit sometimes of joking first, and thinking about it later. :wink:

1 Like

Will tree hardiness be affected by such a brief warmup? It was only a couple days.

Yeah.not a fun place in the winter except for the Black Sea areas.

International Falls, MN was -35F this morning.

It was -7F here…

Garage was 10F …outside was -1F when i left…so it does stay a tad warmer int here…no wonder my trees always do fine overwintering inside. The containers are hard as concrete right now.

I’m not talking about the warm up or even primarily fruit trees, only extreme cold with no snow cover. This can kill trees in shallow soil, but I don’t know if the weather we are going to get is that dangerous, I really don’t know.

1 Like

58 F today 27 F tomorrow!

:frowning:

Capture

2 Likes

I thought it was!

1 Like

Our lemon mint marigold and our apple trees haven’t figured out its winter.

6 Likes

we’re back in the freezer. 0f for a high today. getting down to -15 tonight.

3 Likes

Bizarre weather for us this past weekend. Forecasted to be upper 60’s and sun, but the wind was coming in out of the east (oddly) blowing valley/tulle fog, into our area. Never got out of the 50’s…and Sun? what sun!

1 Like

Had to take a different way home from OK. We usually go up I44 to St Louis, then I64 to east KY. Well, this morn, parts of 44 was covered with snow from the OK border to Springfield.

So, we took a more southerly route. That is, down to I40 thru Ark and Tenn. It adds about 100mi to our route home. Saw maybe ten abandoned tractor trailers that I guess had slid off the interstate in west Tenn, and are in the center median. Heard that it was a real mess here a couple days ago.

Hopefully we can stay ahead of tomorrow’s snow on the way home. So very tired of this weather. It’s been dogging us both ways…

1 Like

Cold and snow this weekend. Did get up to 15F yesterday, but 5 inches of powder snow fell…pure fluff. First real snow of the season.

Next weekend is looking interesting with GFS showing a bunch of precip…should be snow. Temps stay mild ish

Saw photos of that - big mess. They said “40 cars” but it looked like mostly big rigs

70F right now, 15 tonight, and a high of 24 tomorrow. Just another day in west Texas.

3 Likes

Keeps saying it’s about to stop snowing, but it keeps going

We didn’t see many cars, but it was dark, so we might have missed them. Hard not to see those big rigs turned over in the dark.

We got home about three hours ago, after driving almost 940 total miles. Glad that is over with. We had to take a different route thru south KY to avoid more snow, but didn’t see any more bad weather. Thankfully it stayed around 40 all day.

We got to the bottom of our driveway at about 5:20, but didn’t get to the top of it until 6. That’s because there was about two inches of snow on the lower part of it, and the car couldn’t get more than 50ft up the hill without it spinning out. And this with our front wheel drive Accord. Once it stopped going up, it would slide back down the drive. Quite frustrating and a bit scary. After 4 tries I said enough.

My wife went up the hill and got some road salt and a shovel and tried to clear me a small path. I tried it again, and then I was able to stay at that spot. Then I put it in 1st gear and gunned it, and with wheels spinning furiously I slowly made it up the final 50ft and hit some of the gravel, and finally made it to the top!

We unloaded the car and cranked up the heat, and turned the hot water tank back on. Our cat came out to see us, but the dog didn’t, which is odd because he always greets us when we come home. After unloading stuff, I went down to the barn to see if he was in his hay manger, which he was. He appeared to be OK, but maybe spooked. I found a bag of fertilizer laying by the barn ripped a bit. So we’re thinking he might have got jumped by some coyotes. He came in house like he was scared. So, who knows.

But, after all that, it’s good to be home. Back to the grind. I have a doctor’s appointment tomorrow, but I don’t think I’ll be able to get down the driveway. Plus, we’re supposed to get a couple more inches tonight.

I. Hate. Winter.

2 Likes

I just checked the Missouri DOT site to check on the road conditions. The route we usually take is US 60 thru the Ozarks. I see that it’s still snow covered from west of Poplar Bluff to the Illinois line, plus I55 is covered for about a 100mi stretch. Glad we didn’t go that way!

How are the roads for you MO homies on here (@Derby42, @Jwsemo, @Bede, @Borer_the_explorer, @olpea)?

1 Like

That would drive me nuts!

I do too!

1 Like