How is your weather? (Part 1)

Here is how our drive home looked today. My wife snapped this while I was driving. This is one of those spots you shift it into neutral and tap the brakes as you slowly creep around the corner, then as you make it around the corner you shift back to drive a get your speed up to make the top of the next hill.

4 Likes

Yikes! That looks scary. Much worse than what we had to deal with. That looks like a ā€œpuckeringā€ situation.

We had a few small patches of snow up on the ridge about 7mi from the house, but not too bad. Until we got to the drivewayā€¦

2 Likes

In my part of Missouri the roads are fine. We only got a couple of inches.

1 Like

Yes , it kind of stinks when it snows but that is a price I pay to not live in town. It is nice most of the year.

Where mom and dad live they have a dirt driveway a quarter of a mile long up hill. When I got old enough to drive I got stuck on it almost every winter at least once. I would just pull over to the side after a few tryā€™s and park and walk it.

1 Like

Thatā€™s insane!
lol

1 Like

@subdood_ky_z6b ,

The roads werenā€™t bad here either. Borer and I are in more the central part of MO. Iā€™m in the extreme westcentral part (right on the KS/MO border). I donā€™t think we got the snow which was further south. It is cold here this morning. -4F right now.

1 Like

I live way out so my road is gravel, and itā€™s a sheet of ice now. We just got 5 more inches of snow last night. Itā€™s 3 degrees

2 Likes

Woke up to another inch at least and itā€™s still coming down. The driveway is covered again, so it looks like Iā€™m not going to the doc today, not with it being a 50mi trip one way. Glad we got home when we did.

Iā€™m going out to check the roads and other things, but right now I got to deal with a drain issue. The washer drain is backing up thru the drain pipe into the utility room. I believe the main drain under the kitchen sink is the culprit, as the washer line empties into that.

Wow, thatā€™s a lot for your area isnā€™t it? Are you in the Ozarks, or in the east foothills of them?

Itā€™s only 18 here, but it was actually close to freezing at midnight. So, this snow isnā€™t melting just yet. But weā€™ll be in there 50s this weekend, so itā€™ll just be a muddy memory then.

It looks like west KY and TN got a lot of snow too. Any reports from @zazlev, @Lucky_P, @tennessean, @thecityman, etc?

School cancelled in our county today, along with just about everyone else around us.

GFS has a pretty good size storm late weekend ā€¦something to really watchā€¦temps look very iffyā€¦ almost want to say mainly rain here changing to snowā€¦nice warm up between now and thenā€¦should run towards 40F late week. The extended looks much wetter then it has been around these parts.

About 5 inches of fluff on the ground up here. Roads were horrible last night, but not bad today.

Yep. 3-5 more inches last night. Fort Campbell once again closed for all except mission essential personnel. Iā€™m no longer mission essential so will be enjoying another day off. Friday was off too. Looks like snow will stay away for a while now but I have a hunch February and March may have some more snow days in them. Fruit trees getting a real good deep sleep unlike last year. I think thatā€™s a good thing. :+1:

1 Like

Just watching the 12z Euro roll outā€¦ This one will be good to watch. Should have Gulf of Mexico moisture feedā€¦plenty of liquid to play withā€¦ Lots of mild air howeverā€¦so itā€™ll be tricky to forecast this one me th inks.

1 Like

Here in the mid-south (near Memphis) as it called, it was a blizzard by our standards. 2-3 inches on top of what was left over from last Friday.

Schools are closed. Roads are mostly clear but I am not going anywhere. Temp at 15F.

1 Like

YEP! We got another 2-3 inches last night/this morning above what we already had, but some of that had melted so we are at about 4-5 inches Iā€™d guess on the ground. But for recent years, that is a lot. I even went to a local hill where sled riders gather and I went sledding and playing just like a little kid. Except at 48 I sure canā€™t climb back up those hills like I used to.

The big thing here is the cold. Its 12 degrees now and suppossed to be 0 tonight. We havenā€™t got to 0 in a few years, and even then its usually for one night and then back up to the 20-30s. This time weā€™ve been in single digits several nights over the last week or so.

Last night as a lay in bed thinking about the cold, I remembered that one day this summer my tractor overheated for some reason and about all the water boiled out. I was in a hurry and filled it back up with water and the plan-of course was to add antifreeze later. YOu can guess the rest of the storyā€¦its the last I thought about it until last night.
Weā€™ve already had nights down to 6 degrees, so Iā€™m sure whatever damage I will have has already happened. Iā€™m very non-mechanical, but I knew better than that. Now Iā€™m left wondering if Iā€™ll need a whole new motor, radiator, or what? Iā€™m just sick. Someone at work today said some newer tractors have sort of a pop-out valve that is intended to protect tractors from freezes but that they donā€™t work many times and may not even be on a small tractor like mine. Iā€™m just sick at my stupidity!

1 Like

I believe you would call them freeze plugs, you might google the model you have concerning freeze plugs and see if a ā€œfix itā€ type of thread can be found. I would think that if a motor is big enough to need water to cool it that it would have freeze plugs. You might also have more antifreeze in it than you realize if it did not all boil out

My area east of Dallas, Texas is supposed to hit 10 degrees tonight. Just shy of a record low for the day. Should be below 20 degrees for a good 8 or 9 hours. Iā€™m wondering just how much damage my unprotected fig trees are going to have after tonightā€™s cold. Wind is suppose to be pretty low 5-10 mph. Weā€™re up around 40-50% humidity, so not bone dry. Young pomegranates and figs are covered with cardboard boxes and plastic pots. No idea if it will help much, but better than nothing. 3 year old figs and pomegranates are just going to have to endure. Hitting the bottom of that 8a zone label I guess. Big difference from last yearā€™s extremely warm winter.

1 Like

Last winter (that was generally warm) went down to ~14 a couple of times here. I have a very large 16 year old fig that got some freeze damage which did away with my brebas and reduced the main crop but the tree resumed growth. This year is even tougher on it. ??? Itā€™s not going to kill my tree but Iā€™m not sure what damage it will do. Some said if it gets cold and stays cold (more like this year and less like last year where it was relatively warm until those cold spells) it is less likely to be damaged. Weā€™re projected for 11 degrees tonight. Iā€™m about 70 miles SE of you.

I really appreciate that information, Jason! Iā€™ve just been so upset by this! Such a stupid thing and I knew it at the time but you know how it isā€¦you get busy, think youā€™ll take care of it later, etc. But its just so dumb. Anyway, Iā€™ll look up freeze plugs and try to learn a little moreā€¦I need some hope to cling to! But Iā€™m pretty sure it doesnā€™t have a drop of antifreeze in it, so freeze plugs may be my only hopeā€¦and Iā€™d say it is a thin one.

Kevin, If you have a cast steel or iron block, the freeze plugs just will pop out and can easily be replaced, buy new ones. Get your tractor somewhere it can be warmed up, DO NOT run it, and check for damage. Maybe you know some one with access to a heated city barn over a weekend. Freeze plugs are cheap but can be a little tricky to install. I put a little silicone sealant on the edges and seat them with a wood block and a ball peen hammer. Iā€™ll even bet there is a guy there who has the title of mechanic who just might respond well to a friendly please and thank you and show you how he does it.