How is your weather? (Part 1)

Feb is spring in S. CA by my definition. That is when things most spring to life and new buds start to grow on most species of fruit trees- time to plant fruit trees and cool weather veggies. Of course, the month of June is Malibu winter, even if it follows spring and isn’t really based on what plants are doing but on what beach goers are wearing. Further inland the fog has much less influence.

City,

I’m really sorry to hear that. I hope you basement wasn’t finished. But even if it wasn’t, moving all the stuff out of the basement and getting rid of all the water is a big big deal. Wishing you success in this difficult situation.

5 Likes

It depends greatly on location. There are 11,000 ft mountains buried in snow, cities at 4,000 - 5,000 ft elevation in zone 7, a few more cities in zone 8, large metropolitan areas in zone 9, and coastal areas in zone 10. The latter two usually meet your definition.

1 Like

Got about an inch or so over night. All the slop froze solid. I think it’ll all be melted by weekend.

Cold comes down from Alaska early Feb? China in a deep freeze (brrrrr!)…as is the Koreas/Japan… Russia warms…Europe is mild’ish… California no winter? Looking that way

http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/ensemble/naefs/semaine2/images/2018012300_054@007_E1_global_I_NAEFS@TEMPERATURE_anomaly@probability@combined@week2_198.png

According to getchill.net, we’ve (here in NTX) gotten about as much chill so far this season as we got for the entirety of last season. So that’s nice, at least.

2 Likes

:disappointed: I’ve Had enough cold weather and it’s only, January. So sorry about your pipes. Ugh!

I was raised at the base of Topanga Canyon maybe 10 miles from the ocean. It gets down to freezing there most winters, but we went by the Sunset Magazine zones and I can’t remember what that was. Treeland started selling their BR fruit tress in Feb. They’d be pushing bud and root.

1 Like

Oh man that sucks!!! Remember to insulate those spaces to the cold side before you shut them in again!

This is pretty much our weather for today:

1 Like

Yikes!

Thanks for the concern. Actually it wasn’t nearly as bad as it could have been. My basement is unfinished and is only under 1/2 my house and has flooded a few times from rain, so I had nothing valuable down there, though all the shelving and so on was floating by the time I found the problem. oh well. I’ll pump it out and life goes on. I’m more worried about fixing the pipes but I can’t get to them yet…just started pumping yesterday and it’s still not dry!

1 Like

Kevin, your home owners insurance should cover burst house pipes and flooding.

Ice glaze all over the roads today, 100s of wrecks

One of the reasons to have an auto-body shop in Illinois instead of San Diego county. I’m hoping nobody was seriously injured.

Some off and on light sleet and snow today, but it was warm enough to not stick.

Supposed to be close to 60 this weekend. Yay…

2 Likes

Yuck…hate the ice.

The good news is some serious cold is building to the north of us come early/first week of Feb…ready to invade the lower 48.

Southwest US stays warm. What a winter to be out there. I was watching a car video review that was done in Hollywood this month…the weather look fantastic…palm trees, everything green…ugh. Its just a shade of road salt grey around here.

1 Like

Warmer today,40 , Wow

Well, the upper lower, at least

Cool enough not to worry about early spring buds

Perfect, can I steal that?:grin:

Massive downpour three days ago turned my grey car back to white! Hate road salt. 27 degrees today! :disappointed_relieved:

3 Likes