How is your weather? (Part 1)

Thanks Anne.stay safe.

3 Likes

The wind is finally slowing down in RI, for now. A light snow is falling but then there will be rain. I hope this stupid storm doesnā€™t ruin my buds.

3 Likes

Susu,
So sorry to hear about such damage!!!

We are quite far inland so the wind was not as bad as what they are getting along the coastline.

2 Likes

Gusty and howling winds are horrible. Our whole street has no electricity. So, we have no heat for now. I think we are using all candles and not sure when electricity is back up again. I am going to restock on candles tomorrow. Most of the streets are flooded. I hope this storm is over soon.

3 Likes

So sorry to hear about your ordeal Susu. I hope your fruit trees donā€™t get affected much. I just went out to inspect my trees and found most branches covered with heavy, sticky wet snow; so I spent close to an hour brushing the snow off for fear it turns into ice overnight and kills my swollen buds (or break the branches because of too much weight and wind).

2 Likes

Courtney,
Hang in there. Best of luck,

1 Like

I am more concerned about Mon and Sun nights, as the temperatures are forecasted to drop to 26 and 27 here in Wilmington, and 6 out of my 7 pluot trees have buds in the green cluster stage and my apricots are in the calyx red.

My sympathies Courtneyā€¦ I have been thereā€¦

1 Like

If you have a natural gas stove, you can boil water on it. As the water vapor condenses on windows and other colder surfaces it releases heat and will help keep the house temperature relatively warm.

2 Likes

The longest we went without power was ten days, but we had heat. We could also cook on the wood heater. No heat is bad , hope the power comes back soon

1 Like

John,
How has it been for you? Saw the news on TV last night. Anything on the coastline including Quincy looked really horrible. That was before another night time high tide.

I feel worried about you and @Courtney.

Sorry to hear Susu. I hope everyone is safe ā€¦ we lost power here and lots of stuff down but nothing major. It could be awhile before we get restored, there are lots of outages.

1 Like

2 Likes

This w as big one. Havenā€™t seen the waves this big in years. Where I am we very rarely lose power even though most of my town did.

Wishing all of you on the east coast calm and safe journey through the storm. And power restored soon. Donā€™t have much heat to send (temps close to zero this morning here) but can send warm thoughts. Sue

1 Like

Still no power and no heat, a lot of trees down, but we are safe. The area looked like a hurricane just came thruā€¦I was out driving my son to his conference. It looks depressing right now. The local hotels have the same problem so itā€™s camping at home right now. The little things that I didnā€™t about, likeā€¦taking off contact lens using 5 candles didnā€™t workā€¦need flashlights and another person to help shine the flashlights for that. We will get thru this. I am sitting at my sonā€™s sports facility, trying to charge my phone so I can add more flashlight power for later onā€¦not sure when power will get restored.

The Weather Channel did it

Glad to hear from you and @Johnthecook and that both of you and your families are safe.

We had only rain and wind (which was not as strong as where you were). We did not even had snow like they predicted but I wonā€™t complain. Hopefully, the worst has passed for all of us.

3 Likes

A few big branches fell around my trees. Looks like most things are fine except for a crushed kiwi arbor and maybe a squished pear tree.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sorry you folks in the northeast have gotten pounded by this weather. Looks like the storm finally moves on after today.

Since several folks mentioned they were out of power/heat I hope itā€™s helpful (and not rude) to mention some of the benefits of a portable generator (for the next outage, not this one) while power outages are on peopleā€™s minds.

A small portable generator (as long as itā€™s not too small) can at least power a furnace blower, even if the house isnā€™t wired to accept a generator. Many furnaces have a pigtail (or can be easily wired with a pigtail) that you can unplug the furnace from the receptacle and plug into a generator with an extension cord. Obviously if a furnace is 100% electric, a small generator wonā€™t run it.

But at a minimum, one could run a few lights, a microwave, TV, charge cell phones etc. with even the smallest generator.

Some generators are safe for electronics, some arenā€™t. Even modern furnaces have electronic boards which can be fried by a generator which is not electronics safe. Inverter generators are safe for electronics.

Honda makes some small high quality inverter generators (EU series) which are very quiet, fuel efficient and produce clean power for electronics. I think Yamaha also makes some good inverter generators.

Anyway I apologize if this seems like an ad, but a high quality portable generator could make a big difference for in the life of someone in an extended power outage.

3 Likes