How is your weather? (Part 1)

Is that a working well?

yep. you guys roast with above average temps in the west while it feels as if the glaciers are coming down from canada here in the east!

1 Like

60Ā° and socked in with clouds down here.

No, it is my neighbor decoration. It is full of soil and lonely tulip is growing inside

1 Like

Yesterday was our first day below 80+ for a week at 77F. Today cooling off to 75f. Guess your May Gray is starting early.

1 Like

Ya, one big difference from 3a/3b/4a zones in the northeast and here seems to be that the NE US consistently gets more year round precipitation.

The long range forecast here doesnā€™t show any 50s until late April. Iā€™m guessing I wonā€™t be able to plant the 1500+ evergreen plugs Iā€™ve got ordered until at least the first week of May.

I used to love snow. Chance to get out of school, build snowmen and forts, sled. It was fun, even though it meant stinging days carrying wood to the truck so we could heat the house. Ice was fun to break off the roof and suck on the ice sickles. Jack Frost covered everything in a crystal blanket. Even rain wasnā€™t a cause to feel down. It meant jumping in puddles (for some mysterious reason I still donā€™t understand, children are drawn to puddles). Sunshine was a blessing too. It kisses your face.

What happened to me? Now I watch weather like a hawk. Worry about my wife/children driving on the roads with ice/snow. Worry about frosts or winter lows for my trees.

Somehow, somewhere, I got old.

12 Likes

On the subject of snow. Hereā€™s an incredibly cool graphical look at this past winter:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/national/snow-accumulation/?utm_term=.70f71b36e147

2 Likes

same here. used to love the winter! now not so much.

4 Likes

Yupā€¦>GFS is horrible. Shows another snow looking storm late next weekendā€¦temps stuck way below normal. May bloom for sure this year.

4 Likes

Snow yesterday and hail and tornados today.

:astonished:

Sitting on the deck enjoying the pleasant evening, typing this.

Very warm today, about 75, but mucho windy. It was also sunny for a few hours, which we will pay for with possible severe weather tonight. Weā€™re on the SE edge of a Tornado Watch until 8. Looks like we might be OK, but @BobC might need to batten down the hatches!

2 Likes

Probably 6 inches of snow on my picnic tableā€¦has snowed all dayā€¦just about done here. Then cold cold coldā€¦ more snow late weekend/early next week. Worst spring ever? stay tuned.

2 Likes

upgraded to 8-10in. snow tonight! mid 30ā€™s all next week! :frowning:

With the snow yesterday and today, I think thereā€™s more snow on the ground right now than there has been at any time for at least 4 years.

I was surprised to see next to no snow on the ground in the Twin Cities last weekend. You didnā€™t have to get very far south of St. Cloud to see bare ground. Sounds like that area got a bunch of snow today though.

3 hr drive south of me is the same. from the tip of s. Maine to n Maine is 3 planting zones difference. almost another world. even the soil is completely different. from heavy/ rocky clay to near pure sand.

2 Likes

Yuck. The last storm missed you guys. So now you got it. :wink:

Garbage weather got me down then hit me with a good slap of influenza. Ughā€¦ Now I am really ready for spring.

2 Likes

Well, even though we prob wonā€™t get any severe weather tonight, it didnā€™t mean we wonā€™t get any rain. It started raining hard about 11pm and will be for a couple more hours at least. So, we might get another inch of rain tonight. :rage:

After the front rolls through, itā€™s supposed to really cool down for the next week. High temps no higher than 55, and a few lows in the 20s, including maybe 26 Sat night. Oh, and a few days of showers thrown in, too. Those peach blooms might get bit this weekend.

Is this normal April weather for you? Even for N Maine it seems like it should be getting better a little bit. But you are Z4, so I guess itā€™s not a big surprise.