How is your weather? (Part 1)

Wretched wretched weather

2 Likes

I just watched the local network weather, and theyā€™re saying maybe 1in, but up to 3in just south of us. I donā€™t care if it does snow, I just donā€™t want it to get too cold Sat night. Theyā€™re still calling for 20, the latest GFS is sticking with 25, which would make a world of difference as far as the blooms go. Weā€™ll prob lose some anyways, but Iā€™d like to see some make it.

Itā€™s supposed to be nice tomorrow, about 60, and no rain until sunset. I just got my berry order in, and have debated whether to plant them tomorrow, or wait until next week. I decided that they can wait. I didnā€™t want to put them in the ground only to subject them to low 20s temps. I put them in a box in the dark, cool cellar, hopefully theyā€™ll be OK. After Monday, no freezing temps for the next week at least. Rain, some, but not as much.

This weather is making me cray-cray, koo-koo for Coco Puffs, you name it!

1 Like

Another way to look at it was written a long time ago. Brady
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

1 Like

Thatā€™s true, but letā€™s not forget the same book also says, ā€œTruly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.ā€ In some ways, to think ā€œoldā€ is sad. We become grumpy old men (and women) filled with worry and distrust. Worry makes us less human. And to trust no one, is to love no one.

But youā€™re right, the flip side is that with age generally comes some wisdom, which is a good thing.

2 Likes

when i got my portable greenhouse, i bought 6 screw in anchors. theyā€™re cheap, easy to put in/ remove and will not budge under the worst wind :wink: amazon has them.

1 Like

another 1 to 3in. tonight! :frowning:

Thanks for the recommendation. My hoop house was just PVC holding up a clear plastic tarp with blocks around to keep the edges down. When I got home from work last night I checked it out and indeed the wind had pulled the tarp so much the concrete blocks were thrown onto the spinach in the bed. Iā€™ve never seen anything like it.

i had the same happen to me a few years ago. big thunderstorm. i used tent pegs to hold it down but got ripped up anyway. wound up in my niehbors driveway!

1 Like

Can also look at the NAMā€¦ Short distances can have large differences in temp (low spots/etc).

As we move into mid/later April the cold just is stuck in the north central/plainsā€¦ugggghhhhhhhā€¦

1 Like

So we are in the third winter and it is snowing again.

10 Likes

Haha. I tend to think of mud season as a super-season spanning across from foolā€™s spring thru third winter. :wink:

Iā€™d take out actual spring and make it 19 seasons. :sunny:

1 Like

Thanks. I just checked GFS for 12z and itā€™s got us around 25, down a tick from yesterday. Canadian model has us at 23 at 8am, but thatā€™s been trending up a bit. Local forecast says 22, NWS still at 21.

So, Iā€™m thinking we might get to 26-27, because of us being up on a hillside, not down in the valley. Might make a small temp difference, but maybe enough to help the trees.

Itā€™s 61 here at noon, and windy, but I need to get out and enjoy it.

You are correct, actual spring is something that can be skipped easily!

Iā€™m 38 years old and it kind of seems spring has always been like this, especially since Iā€™ve been paying attention because of my garden.

Are there any older folks on here who remember spring differently? Has it always been a crap shoot or could you rely on reasonable temps and the last frost date for your zone? My anecdotal evidence and observations tell me this is a newer phenomenon.

So much for thoughts of spring, snow rain, sleet and fog today. I am so afraid I will lose my peaches.:cry:

1 Like

Next week Weds==Fri might sneak in some near 60F temps. Hopefully warm enough to get my plants back outside. The GFS hints at it and the Euro shows some warmth building in as a system makes its way from N Calif thru the Rockies and then into the midwestā€¦ahead of that winds should turn/ridging ahead of itā€¦something to look forward toā€¦after that back into the below norm stuff.

THis is just unreal. The local weather station is predicting 25 degrees for Saturday night!!! Most of my stone fruits are at petal drop to shuck split stages. According to those freeze damage charts, Iā€™ll lose around 90% of my fruit at those temps.
It is all my faultā€¦Iā€™ve been running around telling everyone I know that this year I dodged the late freeze and was finally going to get some fruit this year!!! Talk about counting chickens before they hatch!

I was just about to order a $350 dollar bottle of Luna Sensation fungicide , but I think Iā€™ll put that on hold. This is 3 years in a row Iā€™ve had some to most of my stone fruits lost to a late freeze (April 9 is fairly late for us). This is the kind of thing that makes you ask yourself if it is really worth all this!!!

Good luck to others in the southeast who have trees blooming or, like mine, at shuck split or beyond!!!

2 Likes

Mud season is next week

Not again, without bad luck bro, youā€™d not have any!

1 Like